Default To space, or not to space? That is the question.

When dividing a standard size box (medium or deep), for use as a mating Nuc, do you add a rim/spacer to the bottom to add space, or do you just nail a flat bottom on? I'm asking because I have seen equipment both ways. Does it matter? A flat bottom would allow 3/8" between the bottom of the frame and the top of the bottom, maintaining "bee space". Suggestions or comments?

Wisnewbee

Bill

Default Re: To space, or not to space? That is the question.

Maintain bee space.

I make mine deeper because swarm cells are mostly on the bottom of a frame and I set them up in small nucs.

With no space, the bottom bars will be 1/8" from the bottom. Close enough to squish bees when you set a frame down and close enough that it will be propolized to the floor so you pull the bottom bar off when you try to pry the frame back out.

I would leave between 1/4" and 7/8" at the bottom which means you prop it up somewhere between 1/8" and 3/4".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If the division board is being used as a follower board to just reduce the amount of combs for the mating nuc, then leave bee space. If you are dividing the box to make a double mating nuc in a single box, then leave no beespace. However, always leave bee space between the bottom bars of the frames and the bottom board as bees will travel from comb to comb using the beespace on the bottom. I use 3/4" beespace on the bottom board myself, mostly for construction reasons... 1 x lumber and plywood comes 3/4" thick.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir