Default Making horizontal hives with langstroth frames

I am making horizontal hives, but will use standard langstroth frames.

My question: Deeps (9 5/8") or Mediums (6 5/8")?

Would deeps be better so the bees have room to cluster into a ball in the winter? Are mediums deep enough in a single 6 5/8" tall long hive? Etc...?

Thanks all!
    Grid.

Default Re: Making horizontal hives with langstroth frames

don't count me as an expert, but i would go with deeps. you'll haveless frames to deal with (assuming constant volume) and it'll give the bees a larger space to cluster in.

I went with mediums for two reasons:

1) I wanted to do top bars in it and also be able to use Langstroth frames, and my first attempt with deeps resulted in a complete collapse of all the combs in the hive.

2) All my Langstroth hives are mediums.

They have done fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you both. Michael, with mediums how long did you make your horizontal hives? How many frames?

I found my double width (2x10), full depth hive not wide enough, as I still had two supers high on top. They've drawn nearly 50 full depth frames this season (they did have two queens for half that time).

I'm currently building 4 long hives. Two are patterned after Matt Davey's two queen hives. The other two are three boxes long but the individual areas are square. I can run the frames either direction. The conventional way or the long way. Since I'm not going to move the hives I'm using deeps. I have dividers that connect the three areas that allow for either a solid divider, queen excluder, or open for the bee's to work the entire length. I'm going to run 1 hive with the frames crosswise and one lengthwise. They will both have 4#pkgs of carniolans installed on April 14th. Should be an interesting experiment. I'm also going to use narrow frames in the brood area. Since the frame areas are square they will fit 13 narrow frames, 11 std frames, or any mix of both. They will require alot of manipulation but isn't that the point of a hobby beekeeper. I also made them out of 1 1/2" material since I live in Montana at almost a mile in elevation.

>Thank you both. Michael, with mediums how long did you make your horizontal hives? How many frames?

Mine are 48 3/4", but I might make them 48" even. I was trying to make it so I could put standard migratory lids on it and come out even. That comes to about 33 frames.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Thank you both. Michael, with mediums how long did you make your horizontal hives? How many frames?

Mine are 48 3/4", but I might make them 48" even. I was trying to make it so I could put standard migratory lids on it and come out even. That comes to about 33 frames.
    I was going to go with 44 1/16" which is 3 x the internal dimension of a standard 10-frame langstroth super. 48" sounds like a good round number, lumber often comes in that length already.

I am planning to assemble a simple box, butt-joints nothing fancy, glue-and-screw, sides rabbeted 3/8" to hold frame rests and be flush with the top, with the front piece 3/8" lower than the sides and back to provide a top entrance, then just slap a big sheet of plywood on it as a cover (ala migratory covers) with some rocks to weigh it down. A little worried the larger plywood sheet will warp and not sit flat, giving the weather entrance to the hive.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TNTBEES View Post
    I'm currently building 4 long hives. Two are patterned after Matt Davey's two queen hives. The other two are three boxes long but the individual areas are square. I can run the frames either direction. The conventional way or the long way. Since I'm not going to move the hives I'm using deeps. I have dividers that connect the three areas that allow for either a solid divider, queen excluder, or open for the bee's to work the entire length. I'm going to run 1 hive with the frames crosswise and one lengthwise. They will both have 4#pkgs of carniolans installed on April 14th. Should be an interesting experiment. I'm also going to use narrow frames in the brood area. Since the frame areas are square they will fit 13 narrow frames, 11 std frames, or any mix of both. They will require alot of manipulation but isn't that the point of a hobby beekeeper. I also made them out of 1 1/2" material since I live in Montana at almost a mile in elevation.
    That sounds well thought out for what you want. I am trying to follow the KISS principle, hoping the bees won't mind and it will make my life easier.

I think one of the key's with a horizontal configuration is length. You can't make it to long as you use followers to define the space needed at any given time. But to short can be a real issue. I have two KTB hives that are 60". If they grow like they did last year they will use 80% of that space. They have three upper entrances that can be corked. Last year I had a package on one end of a hive and then put a swarm on the other end. I should have merged the two before winter but I didn't and lost the swarm this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTBEES View Post
    I think one of the key's with a horizontal configuration is length. You can't make it to long as you use followers to define the space needed at any given time. But to short can be a real issue. I have two KTB hives that are 60". If they grow like they did last year they will use 80% of that space. They have three upper entrances that can be corked. Last year I had a package on one end of a hive and then put a swarm on the other end. I should have merged the two before winter but I didn't and lost the swarm this winter.
    That helps with the length decision: 60" x 80% = 48".

Thanks!
    Grid