Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to get a good hive tool

I'm not talking a strange design. Just the old standard.

Seems like the quality of steel has gotten worse over the years. Used to be able to pry a pickup out of a ditch with one. Now they are so soft you can hardly pry a frame without them bending.

Default Re: Where to get a good hive tool

I have one from Kelley's that I have been using for 3 years now. It doesn't show any signs of wear, plus it was only 8 dollars.

Check out ours.
    We use hardened tool steel.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I have some Maxant tools and they last for as long as I can find them. they do seem to hide very well however since they disappear regularly

What are you talking about Kraig? I haven't bent or broke a hive tool in ages and I use mine almost all year around. The only tool I have ever broke was one of those flat J hook kind.

So, what are you talking about?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Funny story about hive tools here. I had just ordered a bunch of random stuff from Mann Lake including a spare hive tool, only the economy model. All this was in a spare room in my house when we began installing laminate flooring in our living room. I grabbed the hive tool (too lazy to find my real prybar, lol) to pry off the base trim to remove carpeting as well as the tack strips underneath and to my surprise it held up great. I have never had to pry on a beehive anywhere near the force it takes to remove trim, so thumbs up on this tool.

I like the red mann lake style! I ran I've one on lime rock and its still good!

If any one knows where to get one like below except in 9" I would appreciate letting me know where to get them. I'm down to my last one and it's been with me since I started.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...ols#!HD-570/0/
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I'm with Hawkster: biggest problem is they hide well.

Be nice if they had a ring tone, so you could find them in the grass with your cell phone.

Home Depot sells them as a pry bar for trim removal and made in the USA. They are a medium blue color which would be hard to loose in the grass.

I am starting my second year with two from Kelley's neither one looks used much less damaged. and yes they have been used.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MethowKraig View Post
    I'm with Hawkster: biggest problem is they hide well.

Be nice if they had a ring tone, so you could find them in the grass with your cell phone.
    Mine are now flourescent orange.
    Charlie Gassaway

I carry a spray can of yellow paint and paint my hive tools every now and then. I also avoid laying my hive tool down lest it get lost. I put it in my back pocket when not in use in the bee yard. When I get into the truck it goes into the door pocket. It has been a while since I lost a hive tool. I always have three or four in the truck.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Stick on a small piece of vehicle reflective tape commonly sold in auto parts stores.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have been losing hive tools for a very long time. I just bought three to scatter with my last order. Now, Friday I was working thru a yard and my hive tool disappeared! I searched the area completey, no tall grass to lose it in. I finally figured out that if I want it, I will have to go thru those wrapped hives again to find it. That is why you always have an extra. A magnetic holster on the belt is the best answer and always put it back, never lay it down. Then you just cut up truck seats~~!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    That is why you always have an extra. A magnetic holster on the belt is the best answer and always put it back, never lay it down. Then you just cut up truck seats~~!
    Magnetic holster? Now your talking. No propolis filled pockets. You've got my imagination going now.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Turn the hook towards yourself and you won't cut up seats.

I had my hive tool in my back pocket last week and went back in the house. I forgot it was there until I sat down in my chair in the living room and felt it there. Didn't cut the seat.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I put it in my back pocket when not in use in the bee yard. When I get into the truck it goes into the door pocket.
    I just have to remember that it comes out before I sit in the truck. Mine politely punched a nice hole in my seat so now I put in the truck toolbox as Im getting ungeared.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dasco-Pro-...r-Set/22734155

I just picked up this set for $7.47. That's cheaper than most 'hive tools' online, plus no shipping costs. And, you get a bonus mini bar. All made in America.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    14 hives - All cutouts and swarms

Cub

Thanks for the post thats a great deal and like you said you get an extra pry bar ! And made in the USA ! Whats this world coming to??
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast