Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Michael Palmer The Sustainable Apiary

So -
    Do you think the queen will lay into the 2 different nuc boxes above and allow me to create 2 different nucs - which I can queen and create a couple more colonies? I'm unsure how the hive will do - and at what point I can create a nuc from a hive - but the idea is interesting. From what I've been able to determine a nuc can be created from 2-3 frames of brood and maybe a frame or 2 of honey/pollen..and of couse a little shakking of 'nurse' bees from the main hive. Once they are put into the nuc box - and if I dont have a queen cell - won't the 'new nuc' create a queen on their own ?

Does anyone know if Mike treats for varroa? If so what does he use? I have not treated in 3 years but this past winter lost 50% of my bees to small clusters. 3 years ago I bought a VSH pure breeder queen from Glenn Apiaries and grafted from her. Just wondering if I should roll the dice and try to go 4 years in a row or if Mike has been able to stop all treatments? Thanks-

PM him?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Mosherd1 View Post
    Does anyone know if Mike treats for varroa? If so what does he use? I have not treated in 3 years but this past winter lost 50% of my bees to small clusters. 3 years ago I bought a VSH pure breeder queen from Glenn Apiaries and grafted from her. Just wondering if I should roll the dice and try to go 4 years in a row or if Mike has been able to stop all treatments? Thanks-
    Mike has said in the past that he treats as necessary for Varroa. I'm not sure what he uses. He does not practice treatment free beekeeping.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Mike has also said that he treats less and less, but still treats. I thought he used amitraz. But that was years ago, I don't know what he uses now.

Thanks guys, I will shoot him a PM and find out what he is doing. Also, does Mike have a a website?

I would like to view the Vimeo video at the start of this thread. It will not download for me. Do I have to sign up to Vimeo first? Is it a trusted site?

Just watched the vid. It was great thanks Mike! Does anyone know what he does with the overwintered production colonies to complete the cycle? I am not sure if he mentioned it and don't want to guess. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Card's Honey Farm View Post
    Just watched the vid. It was great thanks Mike! Does anyone know what he does with the overwintered production colonies to complete the cycle? I am not sure if he mentioned it and don't want to guess. Thanks!
    Not sure what you want. I use them to produce honey, and winter them for next year's production colonies.

I am wondering how you solve the problem of requeening on a larger scale. Do you take the time to find the queen? Or do you have some other method?

I watched Mr. Palmer's video on the sustainable apiary late this past winter and am inspired to stop being a victim of weak/dead colonies and scrambling around in late winter - early spring to get enough bees into my hives, soon enough to make a crop of honey and keep my customers happy. Is there an A - Z write up on this method available, which I can find in either a bookstore or online?

Quote Originally Posted by Card's Honey Farm View Post
    I am wondering how you solve the problem of requeening on a larger scale. Do you take the time to find the queen?
    Of course. Remove old queen, and re-queen with a nuc or a queen placed under a push-in cage.

You da man, mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I think the problem was with your brood source. Focus your mite control there and your nucs won't have problems.
    Hi Michael, please explain what exactly do you mean by "brood source"? I understanding that splits somehow aid or facilitate mite control by virtue of overloading the mite to brood ratio to the point of mite collapse. That being said, are you suggesting that one should attempt or strive to cleft brood for doner colonies that we know are relatively mite free? Or where you meaning something else? Thank you in advance.

It has been suggested that making nucleus colonies will eliminate the varroa problem for a year in those colonies. Using brood from colonies that have high mite loads, and/or signs of pms doesn't work. I've had plenty of nucs fail because the brood source colonies were too compromised by varroa and virus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234