Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

protien patties ?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
i need some advice or formula/recipes for some pollen patties. if any of you have a good amount of experience and maybe a great recipe or brand i should go with ... please let me know :):thumbsup:

#2 ·
Dave hackenburg has a recipe on his site designed for his needs.
Scientific beekeeper has lots of good information.
Bee-L has some information if you dig around.

I don't have a great deal of experience but wanted something that fit my needs better than the commercial stuff. I think I may have a good base and I'm continuing to read, learn and try different things.

Here is a link to a thread I started that gives a general idea. The pattie I want should deal with problems specific to my area and situation so you may not feel the sugar needs to be as high etc. The recipe amounts are ballpark amounts you will need to do the math to get % where you want them.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-Sub-Improvement&highlight=Pollen+improvement

As I try to develop a product that gives me the best value, it's becoming more apparent that how I use it is very important to the outcome.

Working within the boundry of % of ingredients and understanding what vitamins and minerals and how to provide them in balance is where I need to focus next.

I think the pattie I have easily offers 2x the value of the commercial stuff I've tried.

Disclaimer I don't have much experience, haven't tried every product and may not of mixed or applied them correctly.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Joe, perhaps you need a "Resellers" page on your website. While the "local" vendors of smaller quantities are listed, they are not very obvious.

It wasn't until I had written a previous version of this post that I even noticed the Simpson's link, and only then discovered Dresden. :D

So for those near Dresden OH, Dresden Feed & Supply is also a dealer.
http://www.dresden-feed.com/index.html

#9 ·
I don't usually make patties. If I feed pollen I put pollen in an empty hive... on a screened bottom board with window screen on it to keep it dry and keep it from falling through. When I have made patties I take pollen and mix it with enough honey to make a thick dough and put it on wax paper and press it...

The ingredients are simple. Pollen, or pollen and honey...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.