Question Hive body question

Im new to this beekeeping thing.

I had this question partially answered before, but now that I have a little more info, I think I can make a better decision. What is ya'lls take on this?

I have three deep hive bodies and two mediums right now on hand, assembled. I have all my other hive components.

Should I make two hives with two deep bodies each and the rest medium supers, or should I make two hives with ONE deep body and the rest all mediums and reserve my third deep for another hive in the future?

I understand the advantage of using ALL mediums for interchangeability and that there are times I might need to swap frames between bodies, so it seemed like using ONE deep in a hive and all mediums from there up would give me a more practical means of doing that.

Im kind of leaning towards one deep hive body and all mediums from there up, but I have been advised to do two deeps as well, so I need some other experienced keepers to weigh in.

What makes more sense? If I didnt have a lot of my equipment already, I would have done all mediums, but it was easier to order this way.

Default Re: Hive body question

That really depends on where you are at. In Alabama I kept two deeps for overwintering, although I know a lot of people use one. I felt that if the year was a reasonable one, then two deeps would work. It did. Here in New Mexico at 7000 feet where temps can, and do, dip into the negatives, it worked again. So that is what has worked for me, and maybe that info can help you with your decision.

I started by using two deeps because that was the way it is "supposed to be done". I now use one deep and then mediums from there with no QE.

Last year, I began the process of getting a shallow drawn out to be placed at the bottom of each colony as a pollen box after reading Walt Wright's papers (available elsewhere on Beesource).

-js

I run two deeps, just works better in our climate. The warmer the winter the more store that are needed. With two deeps they can backfill an entire deep for winter stores but I always leave them a full super as well for cases such as this winter which, with the exception of the snow today has been almost non-existent.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Just to confuse the issue…I always used 1 deep and 1 shallow for brood and supered up with shallows. (all 10 frame) I live in Southern Illinois and that's the way my mentor told me to do it. Now I'm trying to return to beekeeping after an 18 year hiatus and have to start all over with new equipment. This time I'm going to listen to Michael Bush and use 8 frame mediums for everything.
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

Hey Hamp, I did my graduate school at SIU back in the 80's. How's Carbondale these days?

I'm using a single deep and two mediums, with the intention of using one underneath this year as a pollen box -- I'm a bit north of Walt, and think I'll need the extra space.

A deep and a shallow should work in Texas, depending on your winters and need for stores. Warm weather with no forage will probably require more stores than fairly cold since cold weather keeps the bees cluster and inactive.

As noted, if you have severe cold weather, you may need more stores than the bees can put in a deep and a single, in which case two deeps or a deep and a couple mediums will work better for you.

The advantage of a single deep is that the brood nest will almost always be in the deep, not extending into another box except in early spring before they more back down from consuming the stores in the upper box. Makes it easier to manage them.

Peter

Carbondale is a good drinking town with a college problem.
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

I'd use the mediums, buy more mediums and use the deeps for swarm traps...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Since I already have three deeps, im thinking I will use them for the bottom...since I will never have to lift them. Then from there, all mediums. Will this be workable?