Hybrid View

Default Mosquito Spraying

In my area they spray for mosquitos on occasion and I am wondering if this will affect the bees. Just trying to bide my time until I get my bees. trying to think of everything.

Thanks,
    Joyce

Default Re: Mosquito Spraying

very interesting thought. I had not considered that threat vector. They fog near us with truck mounted...well this is straight from the control board website

Adulticiding involves the application of products to reduce the number of adult mosquitoes. This service is provided to reduce mosquito annoyance and to protect you from mosquito-borne disease.

How are these products applied?

These products are applied using pickup-mounted ULV (Ultra Low Volume) aerosol generators which dispense very small amounts of material; approximately one ounce per acre. These machines break the material down into very tiny droplets which remain suspended in the air for a matter of minutes or hours but are then quickly broken down and leave no residual material in the environment.

What time of day will this service take place?

Mosquito adulticiding is conducted in the evening beginning approximately one half hour before sunset.

What control product (adulticide) will be used?

The ULV machines dispense permethrin.

Will these materials harm humans, plants or other animals?

As used in mosquito control, these materials will not harm humans or other organisms. It is designed to affect insects in particular, and the small amount of material used for mosquito control is safe for humans, pets, birds and other wildlife. This material can be applied directly to dogs and poultry to control fleas, lice and other biting insects and to trees and shrubs to control plant pests.

How do we decide where to fog?

We fog the entire County as mosquito populations dictate. We have a number of collection traps which allow us to identify areas of greatest mosquito activity and to prioritize areas for treatment. Please remember that the nighttime fogging is only effective if there are mosquitoes flying at the time of treatment. It does not provide residual protection against future mosquitoes. The County is divided into specific routes for the nighttime fogging.

These folks also treat a lot of area by plane, but that is a chemical that specifically targets mosquito larva and no otehr instects. firthermore, they treat standong water directly with something akin to mineral oil. the permethrin fogging doesn;t sound good for the bees, but it is done at night and the ladies should be at home resting, so probably not too big of a concern...I hope.

I have dealt with mosquito control were I live. They say that the truck will harm hives within 75 feet of the road. The plane is a different story. If you let them know you have bees they will call you and let you know when they are spraying, by a recording. The problem with the recording for the plane in my area is that it will say something like we will be spraying in area 9 Aug 10th thru Aug 14th. You cant keep your bees hived up for four days. Then if its to windy thwey cancel and dont tell you. If they spray at night it is not suppose to effect your bees unless your hive is right next to the road, They claim that it only effects the foragers that are out and about who knows.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I plan to talk with them about this, but what you're saying is good news. I'll have the hives nearly 1/4 mile from the road at the back side of the property. The planes are used to cover broad areas of flooding and apparently drop a granual of some sort that the larva easts and it disrupts the digestive system. it is supposed to have no effect on flying insects (mosquitos in adult stage included), so my fears are minimal there. I'll see what the Mosquito control agency says tomorrow.

Thanks!

I live on a lake out in the sticks, but still in a "metropolitan" county. That means that we get sprayed a couple of times a year. Because we are on the water, they use two products - BTI and Methoprene. I have been assured that these target only the larval stage of the mosquito and pose no harm to bees. My first response to that was "Right..." I can tell you that my lakeside colonies have been doused many times during application with no obvious harm to the bees.
    Nowthen Bee Yard 1 in Fall 2009 - 1.jpg

The mosquito control folks DO use bee-toxic chemicals to control adult mosquitoes. Here's a quote from the Minnesota Metropolitan Mosquito Control District web site:

"As for adult mosquito spraying, the pyrethroids used by MMCD pose no measurable health risk to humans and animals, but are toxic to fish and bees. This is why we do not spray near water or blooming crops. Permethrin is only applied to dense vegetation where mosquitoes rest during the day, and resmethrin is applied as a fog during the evening when mosquitoes are active but bees are not. All of our materials are registered for use in Minnesota and are among the safest available. As professional applicators we take pride in only making a treatment when necessary, following label directions, and minimizing the potential impacts on non-target species. We live in this area and enjoy the outdoors too, so we take a personal as well as professional interest in protecting the environment."
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Once your hives are registered with the state you need to call you county.
    They will but you on a no spray list. They are very good about turning the truck off before they reach my house. I understood that my county sprays permethrin based stuff that dissipates quickly and I haven't seen a problem. I was told a neighboring county uses a malothion sp?
    product that has residual issues for bees.

Once you are on the list of registered keepers they will contact you and inform you of arial spray times and zones. The product they use often has little affect on bees based on a experiment done here. I had one yard near a spray zone this year and covered the hives with a tarp and noticed no kill of affects. This year the arial spraying was funded though emergency funds and I didn't have enough notice to move the hives. They called me twice and send me the specs on the chemical they sprayed.