Default Hello from South Carolina!

I plan on starting a hive or two sometime this spring. I enjoy gardening and this looks like an interesting hobby to compliment it. I wanted to start a hive last year, but waited too long. Any suggestions on what type of bee to get? I've done research, but would like some opinions. Thanks!

Default Re: Hello from South Carolina!

Welcome to Beesource!

The best bees are free bees! OK, you may not be able to start out by catching a swarm. After that, I'd choose bees from a local producer. But that means someone that raises them within driving distance, not just selling imported bees. If none of those are practical, look for some Italians that were trucked in, but where you can do a local pickup.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

look up the SC Beekeepers association page,, find your local club,, and contact them about a class and help in getting started..

Welcome Italians seem to do ok around here. Lots of beekeepers in your area shouldnt be hard to find some.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Welcome to the site! I'm getting 4 packages from Bee Well in Pickens in March. Call 'em. It may not be too late to order. You can get them in Travelers Rest too. I believe these are Italians. Well.....I've been told that most package bees are not pure breeds.

Welcome Max!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com