Default Any thoughts as to what is happening here?

In about January each winter, a number of hive entrances become completely clogged with hundreds of dead bees.
    And often at the same time, bees are flying even though the weather is freezing or 'just' above freezing- sometimes on dark cloudy days. Not normal cleansing flights. Usually one bee at a time.

Generally these hives will die before spring.
    They have sufficient weight, plenty of honey leftover in spring to start a new hive off.

Any guesses as to what disease I should be researching?
    The bee inspector looked at one dead hive last year and called it winter kill, however I'd like to find out exactly what is winter killing them. Thanks!

Default Re: Any thoughts as to what is happening here?

Mite loads are always a good place to start. Did you test/treat last season?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtslinger2 View Post
    The bee inspector looked at one dead hive last year and called it winter kill, however I'd like to find out exactly what is winter killing them. Thanks!
    Could these be colonies that did not build up late in the season, as in a lack of longer lived winter bees?

Nosema apis will sometimes cause bees to forage in adverse weather conditions.

all of the above plus a poor queen or queenlessness, sometimes there are multiple causes combined.

even with relatively low mite counts, a virulent virus that is vectored by mites can kill a colony.

nutruition during the fall brood up is critical. those overwintered bees have to live for many months during the long winters in the northern climes.

feeding syrup gives the worst nutrition for making long-lived bees whereas natural forage gives the best, (that is if the natural forage is plentiful and balanced). something like keith jarret's commercial grade feed would be good if there is a lack of natural forage.

joe latshaw has some good stuff too:

http://www.latshawapiaries.com/

i rarely feed my bees, and my winter kills are low, but i'm in alabama.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

did you check to see if they had any pollen left when you checked the dead out?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon