Default Frame making fixtures

I wanted to share 2 of fixture I made for making my own frames. I know I'm not saving much by making them but have enjoyed doing it very much. Fortunate I purchased all of my equipment years ago.

Jointer fixture for the side bars:

I made my side bars out of 2x6's so they would fit on my jointer; I've been able to make 1 pass on each side with a new cutter. This might be overkill but it worked very well at applying down pressure and keeping my hands out of the way.

I'll post up my side bar cutter later. If anyone else wants to share please do so!!!

Steve

Default Re: Frame making fixtures

Here is the sliding table I made to cut the side bars to 3/8" wide. It works very well. I was hoping to have more of the blade covered but it works well to stop when the center of the blade comes out of the back, this way I know that the blade is out of the way of the side bars and I can safely remove it.

I hope this helps someone and if anyone has any improvements I'd love to hear them.

Please post other fixtures and jigs.

Thanks, Steve

WOW, great job, Steve!!!!!

Nice fixtures. I may set one up for cutting them off the block, but so far have had no trouble at all just slicing them off against the fence on the table saw or band saw. Table saw works better, but you lose a couple per block.

I cut the sides down one at a time by hand -- the rotating cover with the stop set makes this pretty safe on the jointer, and it's easier than doing the whole block at once.

I trim them down after drilling them in my very cheap and cheerful drilling jig.

Peter

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post

I trim them down after drilling them in my very cheap and cheerful drilling jig.

Peter
    What do you mean by trim them down? Are you drilling them while they are still in block form?

Steve

Thanks for the compliments. I have really enjoyed making these, it's been a while since I've done a woodworking project and it seems like a nice winter project.

Here are a few pics of the dry fit frames:

I plan on using an air stapler and Titebond III glue to assemble these, what size staple works the best?

Thanks, Steve

Very nice. I use 1 1/4in staples. 6 staples per frame. Make sure to put two staples from the side into the top bar. It helps keep the top bar from pulling off when you pry on them.

Do you have a jig to make the top bars? I am looking for something to cut the notches in the to bars.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    Do you have a jig to make the top bars? I am looking for something to cut the notches in the to bars.
    Those were the only two jigs/fixtures I made.

"Westernbeekeeper" did an awesome photo write up of his process that help me alot.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Photo-Tutorial

I made my side bars 3/8" thick like the Dadant Style ones:

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...t-type-frames/

I have a radial arm saw the I used to make the 3/8" wide cuts in the top bars but this could be done on a router table like "Westernbeeker" did or a table saw using the sliding "T" that comes with the saw.

Here are some photos of my process:

I hope that helps.
    Steve