Thread: Just can't wait

Default Just can't wait

I'm not going to be ready with all my stuff until next spring and I'm going crazy not being able to start something . My brother in-law dropped off some of his old equipment including a smoker , veil , gloves and two really old garden boxes or nuc style boxes not sure I think there homemade . Anyway I thought maybe I could use one for a swarm box , measurements are 14 1/2 wide x 24'' deep it holds 12 frames that meas. 12'' x12'' there is no foundation on the frames . Would this work , I'll set it out the the field , what can I use for food or attractant as I have no frames with comb , do I put a syrup feeder inside . All new to me so easy on the neebe .

Default Re: Just can't wait

Seems like an old style hive size. Something English most likely. Definitely not standard. Doesn't ring a bell. Not Warre, Dadant, Darlington or Denis. I would be reluctant to use something that is not standard. However it will work but not sure where you would go from there. If you want to use you can attract a swarm using lemon grass oil.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

I thought if I did get a swarm I could house them in this old hive for a couple weeks until I build a couple boxes . How do I feed them in the mean time or do I definitely need frames with foundation in the catch box , just thought it would make a good swarm catcher and transfer them over to a good langstroth box later .I could give them any of the comb they make also when I do the switch.
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-10-2013 at 01:39 PM.

With luck you might get a swarm. But that depends on local swarming conditions. Rather than waiting for a swarm why not order a 5 frame nuc? In the mean time you can still build your equipments to expand later on. The frame is hard to make that some people afraid of their fingers on the saw. So you can buy the frames and build your hive box right away. This will speed up your waiting time. Not sure if you live in swarming country or not.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I thought if I did get a swarm I could house them in this old hive for a couple weeks until I build a couple boxes . How do I feed them in the mean time or do I definitely need frames with foundation in the catch box , just thought it would make a good swarm catcher and transfer them over to a good langstroth box later .I could give them any of the comb they make also when I do the switch.
    I agree with beepro you may be better off to purchase a local nuc or at the very least a package. This will get you going quicker. Swarms are fickle. Weather you go the swarm, nuc or package route you will most likely need to feed at least for a short time. Maybe less likely with a nuc. Either way this will help them grow stronger. There are many ways to feed. Drop-in frame feeders, Boardman feeder(not recommended, promotes robbing in my experience), Inverted jar or can feeder. You can also open feed outside of the hive. Do a search on google or youtube. The methods are pretty straightforward. For the spring you will want to make up a 1:1 syrup. You can also go with 5:3 ratio that a lot of folks have moved to. Again that is either 1 pound of sugar to 1 pint of water or 5 lbs of sugar to 3 pints of water. You may also want to add a little vinegar to increase the acidity. They sell a product called Honey Bee Healthy that many beeks use in their syrup. I do use it occasionally.

Good luck!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Thanks for the help guys , I'm getting a little ahead of myself I guess , how late could I install a package into a proper box , I'm in northeast PA .

It is the same, but I would like to think of how early I can install my package. Late into the Fall is too late only 3 months to go before the year is over. When early as possible get a package. Other areas already made their splits back in Jan-Feb. I just made mine and they're doing well with their first real orientation flight. The whole hive came out today on a warm 70 day. The faster you install the faster they can build up for the winter. And hopefully give you some honey this year too. Hurry up! Don't delay any longer. Package or nuc you can still feed them inside when it is cold outside.

A lot depends on your goals. The earlier the better if you want them set up nicely for winter. The later you wait the more you will have to feed. Do you want honey? Sometimes you can get some off a package if the conditions are right. The flow in your area and whether or not there is a drought all have a bearing on this. I would not go much past June but I know there are folks that if a packages are available they will make it work.