Default Making a jacketed, electric bottling tank: how are the prefab ones set up?

I'm hankering for the better flow (which will permit better valves) of a bottling tank, but can't justify dropping the $1000+ for one. I have several legitimately acquired stainless beer kegs of different sizes, and access to a local skilled welder who can do SS no problem (I know it's not elementary welding). I'm picturing one keg inside the other on a small riser. Is a bottling tank anything more than one vessel sitting inside a larger vessel with:
    1. A fill and a drain fitting in the outer vessel,
    2. an immersion heater element in the gap between the floors of the inner and outer vessels, and
    3. a welded fitting through the outer shell allowing you to drain the inner vessel through a threaded fitting for the gate/valve?

And a lid. I know some will have paddles for agitating the honey or other fancy geegaws, but I don't need that.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Making a jacketed, electric bottling tank: how are the prefab ones set up?

Your double tank sounds complicated to me.

Instead of the outer tank, wrap the keg with flexible heat tape, then use expanding foam in a can to hold it in place and provide insulation to reduce the heat loss. You could use a plastic garbage can to provide a form and outer casing for the tank if you want it to look neat. After the foam has hardened, cut away the plastic and foam to provide access to the honey gate area. Of course, do the required modifications to the keg before foaming.

Disclaimer: I have not done this.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Making a jacketed, electric bottling tank: how are the prefab ones set up?

I've rigged ghetto-er setups than that for other uses... . How would you control the heat?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Whatever method you were going to use to control the immersion heater should also work for controlling the heat tape. Something like this is one possibility:
    http://www.build.com/honeywell-t6031..._utmk=17414651

You could insert the probe into a capped length of CPVC pipe and drop the cased probe into the honey well.

Or foam the probe against the outside of the keg. If you want to put it on the keg wall, get you friend to weld a small piece of pipe to the keg as a probe holder. Then insert the probe and fill the pipe with sand before foaming the keg.
    Graham

With stirring, the jacket need not be on the bottom. Doing so, you eliminate the need for a bulkhead fitting to get the honey though the water jacket. I have built tanks with just the vertical surfaces jacketed. Of course, a coil of tubing on the bottom, in contact, would not hurt. There are some fairly cheap PID9proportional integral derivative) controls that can actuate a SSR(solid state relay). Wattlow and Chromalox come to mind.
    Some are nice, others not so much. A small Grundfuss circulatin pump would be great to avoid hot/cold spots.

Crazy Roland.

Here is an integrated heat and controller option designed to fit your drum (keg):
    http://www.briskheat.com/p-284-heavy...il-heater.aspx

Or this:
    http://www.briskheat.com/p-289-hstat...t-control.aspx
    Graham

I made what you are talking about. Mine start out as a pool chlorine tank. We bent up some sheet stainless and weld up into a box. Should have made it a little smaller. Used a hot water tank heating element and thermostat. Works great, this was my first year using it. I will find out how good soon. It has about ten gallons of Crystally honey in it right. That I will be bottling soon. Before you start get all of your parts together. I had to work to get a lid that would fit.
    David
    Last edited by My-smokepole; 02-11-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Add to it

What sort of volume are you talking about. ie per batch , and how often and amount per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    If you want to put it on the keg wall, get you friend to weld a small piece of pipe to the keg as a probe holder. Then insert the probe and fill the pipe with sand before foaming the keg.
    That might work! With electric I want to be careful not to have scorching or overheating at local hot spots. For a few years I liquefied or warmed 60-pound pails with a heating pad wrapped inside bubble wrap set on low, or occasionally medium overnight and then low. Usually took a day or two depending on ambient. Water jacketing makes for such great thermal mass and transfer but sure does pose additional issues in fabrication. I have several AC temperature controllers I use for brewing and for my kludged-together super warmer, sure could use one of those, though have to check amp capacity.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO