Thread: smells bad

Default smells bad

Fed bees today and the hive smells like a dead mouse. The entrance reducer was on the ground so im guessing a mouse got in the hive. Dont know how the reducer was removed. Any advice on what to do? This is my strongest hive and dont want to lose it.

Default Re: smells bad

You can use a stretched out coat hanger and sweep the bottom board. Just make sure you have a hook on the end, so you can pull mickey towards you if he is in there. Hopefully it is dead on the bottom board. If not, open the hive as soon as weather allows. Another possibility for the smell is dead bees on bottom board.

just gonna have to open that baby up. even if u sweep the mouse to the entrance, chances are it will get stuck and u cant pull it out. ewwwww ... just get in there and make it quick. cant leave it in the bee's livin room ya know.

I'd go with the coat hanger idea, but bend the hook to a 90 degree bend. Pull that sucker out. If it gets stuck pull harder, it will come out if it's that stinky. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I'd go with the coat hanger idea, but bend the hook to a 90 degree bend. Pull that sucker out. If it gets stuck pull harder, it will come out if it's that stinky. lol

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You can buy something like this http://m.homedepot.com/p/General-Too...300/202515844/ I paid less than $100 for mine. It allows you to see anything you want without disturbing the hive.