Thread: Need advice...

Default Need advice...

I started 4 hives last April. I am running a 10 frame set up with a deep and a medium as brood boxes for each hive. I lost a hive this winter. Now I want to switch to double deep brood boxes. I have in my unused inventory 10 frames of deep brood comb and 10 fames of medium brood comb (from the dead hive) as well plus 10 or so medium frames of capped honey. All my other unused frames are undrawn new foundation only. Right now all my clusters are in the medium (top) box. So the question is, what is the best way to make the switch and when is the best time this Spring to do it? Thanx!

Default Re: Need advice...

If you cannot extract and take the honey from the mediums I would put that box on a bottom board with a queen excluder over it. The bees will move the honey up above the broodnest. If you put the deep you want your bees to use as a brood nest over the medium with the queen, the colony will expand up into the deep and you can move the excluder over it too until the brood emerges and you can then remove the mediums and use them for supers or whatever. If I was switching and only had four hives, I would switch to mediums myself.

Are there any opinions out there in favor of the double deeps? I assume, Vance you would go with all mediums due to weight and woodenware uniformity? Thanx for the input.
    Last edited by Belewsboy; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Re-submitted for additional input. Thanx all.

I have never kept bees in North Carolina or even visited there. I do not know how much room your bees need for wintering. I must have misunderstood as I often do. I can't imagine wintering bees in a single deep hive body here where I am at, but canadian beeks who produce honey far north and way colder than my zone 4, do that very thing very successfully. I thought you were just going for the benefits of standardization. Go to pedersenapiaries.ca and frenchbeefarm.com to read how they winter in singles and indeed winter two nucs in a single deep insulated and outside. They are pro's and know just what they are doing, but it is what is possible. Good luck with whatever you decide. It all works if you let it, I heard a wise man say something like.

Thanx Vance...winters here are pretty mild. In fact I saw a cherry tree in full bloom Sunday, but that is not the norm but the exception. I'd say we're a good 2-3 weeks ahead of spring schedule. It seems most of the people here I know have double deeps. I thought if I had doubles instead of a deep and a medium, things would be standard, for brood comb anyway.
    My real concern was the logistics on making the switch, since I have limited drawn brood comb and a whole new deep full of new undrawn foundation. I basically will have 1 deep full of drawn comb as my bottom box w/ no cluster on it and an upper medium w/cluster on top. I think you answered my question by using the excluder. I'm also wondering how soon I need to make this switch since spring's coming in so early.
    BTW...I've been to Montana (in the Summer) and its an awesome state...just like North Carolina!