Default ID system for queen breeding

Is anyone involved in queen breeding aware of any standard identification method for identifying and tracking bred queens? Our group is trying to come up with a simple coding protocol reflecting date, genetics, etc. but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Default Re: ID system for queen breeding

Queen tags with a detailed log is probably the most widely used method for identifying genetics, date of graft, any type of resistance and so on. They tags come in different colors, which may help to ID different breeder mothers and different queen types.
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

They also have small numbered discs that are glued to a queens thorax. Then details can be recorded in a log for each numbered queen.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    They also have small numbered discs that are glued to a queens thorax. Then details can be recorded in a log for each numbered queen.
    Thank you both, I doubt we can fit all the info that we want on the queen herself! I was wondering whether there was a standard notation that people used to capture certain characteristics (such as source apiary, hatch date, genetics, parentage, etc.) or whether we should just come up with one of our own. Anne

There really is no "standard" way to make notations of queen qualities. I like using numbered discs and a detailed log to record and retain characteristics that i observe in queens. Many queen breeders and suppliers use their own system for recording such information. Making a system that conforms to your needs and allows you to easily find details on a queen may be your best solution.

One way to start is to give the queens first and last names, and use PAF (Personal Ancestry File) from the local genealogy club.