Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Going to the Orange Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I am a bit confused... are you coping with excess honey or excess bees, perhaps both. Either way it sounds like a good problem.... why not add more supers? Short on woodenware?
    I'm confused as well!

Looks like I misjudged the populations.

I'm sure that after I give this process some thought there are many things I'll do different next year.

I'm going over today to move things around and get set up to pick them up to night.

I made a trip to equalize things and make loading hopefully go smoother.
    The super strong ones I loaded on the trailer and moved the trailer a 100 yards away
    I left the trailer there.

This one I split and moved both boxes.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4792

On each pallet I left one or two hives and added a deep.
    It's raining on and off so I don't thing there will be to much drift.
    I'll know if I did it right in a couple hours either way they are going on the trailer.

Sorry for the hillside shot!
    I have no idea why they post like that or how to correct it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mbeck; 03-20-2013 at 04:37 PM.

When in the blueberries I make up Nucs and move them to another part of bb farm. I leave them there until we pull out. Often make up more nucs than we have put in hives. It keeps things under control.

As far as nectar flow goes... we don't have that problem, but if we did, I would just add more supers. Nice thing about pollinating is you learn stuff every year. Sometimes you even make money -
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post

Sorry for the hillside shot!
    I have no idea why they post like that or how to correct it.
    I've gotten to enjoy them. every morning I look to see if you have more. gets my neck to crack and feel better each morning.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post

Nice thing about [pollinating]is you learn stuff every year.
    I'm fairly confident that if next year is exactly like this year I'll be good, but every year is different!

Loading went smooth.
    Most of my equipment fits together to make a tight load but there are a couple bottom boards that don't "fit" my lids. They need to go in the trash.
    I need to set up some pallets that mesh into the load.

Cheap straps so I used a bunch for the secured load look
    image.jpg

What are you going to do with all those bees now? Do you have another crop to send them to? Will they be OK in a stationary situation?
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

The next flow for me is palmetto.
    A few of the hives that performed well will stay at the house to produce drones.
    The rest will be sent to fairly stationary yards. I may move some in the summer to yards that I think will be better for cabbage Palm and some again in the fall for Brazilian pepper.

I'm still very new at this so this is just a plan.

Will they be Okay?
    I think they'll be fine that maybe a better question for someone with more experience.
    I think my immediate concerns are to watch the space and super so they don't swarm if we get a mini flow and mites. I'm thinking the queens will slow down a little populations will drop some and that may mean a spike in mite %.

I had a plan to send some to Ohio but I recently found out that was going to take them and bring them back is the type that gets thrown out of the happiest place one earth!

I have enjoyed your thread Mbeck. I don't want to hi jack your thread but, thought I would give the guys a different perspective from another rookie on my first year in the groves.

I have about 30 hives in the groves right now and as of yesterday they have made very little honey. They have built up some and they are all strong. They all have drawn comb supers on them so all they have to do is fill them up they don't have to draw much comb. I still have some bloom going on and the Tangerines are just starting to bloom so I'm still hopeful.

I'll bring mine home the first part of April for Black gum, Gallberry, and Palmetto. Then to Cabbage Palm the rest of the summer. Don't know if I will try to move them to Cotton or Pepper.

Sounds like you have had a good trip Mbeck Good luck with the rest of your year. Keep the updates coming I've really enjoyed them. John

No please jump in!

I started this thread because I enjoy when others share their trips and experiences.
    I can't offer much in the way of proven advice for beekeeping so a few poorly posted photos and a unremarkable account of my folly will have to do.

The grove here is still producing nectar but my guess it won't last long. The grower told me I could stay a few more days if I wanted. I thought it would be better with my limited resources to give myself some time for unseen issues.

We have Gallberry here as well but I'm not sure I've got that one figured out. Two places I'll put hives for Palmetto are traditionally good spots for gallberry (so I've been told).

Is Palmetto a crop plant? Landscape, wild?
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Is Palmetto a crop plant? Landscape, wild?
    Saw Palmetto

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=sere2

It is everywhere you look here

So you made out with your bee population
    What about honey?
    Seems to be an off year around Tampa and a bit south east

I still haven't extracted it all.
    I've had lots of little emergencies.
    I rotated a bunch of it through my freezers ( I have lots of freezer space) and have it stacked up with fans and dehydrators going on the uncapped stuff.

No Hive beetle issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post

No Hive beetle issues!
    Your lucky

Here is the final data and initial assesment.
    I'm sure my thoughts will change as a think things through.

Average yield #23.4
    Average yield if I subtract the one I killed moving in, the one I split and the 6 I didn't think where strong enough to do much ( and they didnt really).#31.25
    I ended up with #750
    Took 32 singles hives, brought home 30 singles and 7 double hives. Used 8 queens to get everything straight.

I'm pleased it was a good learning experience.
    I got lots of comb drawn and came home with very strong hives.

I didn't let my hives get strong enough, added supers too quickly and left a week early.
    The honey that wasn't capped I let dry too long so it made my crop a little too thick.
    The color and flavor is really outstanding
    image.jpg

I hear there is some record losses of colonies on Oranges this year because of prolific pesticide spraying. Have you heard or talked to other beeks on Oranges?

About mid February I bought 2 hives from a sideliner and they are in an orange grove. I asked if I could bring a drawn med super for each and leave them in the grove until end of nectar run. Each hive is a double deep with a queen excluder when I bought it, and then I put the medium on each one. He sent a text this morning that I have a super full of honey and bloom will be done this week...I won't know til we move them if he means each one, and does he mean the super I put on or the deep he uses as super. I can't wait to find out. I have a beekeeping friend with 2 hives in a grove and he told me the other day he got 2 supers off each hive, they weren't capped yet so he hasn't pulled them yet. All these hives are in Alva, Fl.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I'm hearing rumors of big die offs but I'm sorry I don't have more info.

As I understand the second the bloom is done they spray. I would get those hives out of there.

That Fla. Orange Blossom Beekeeping sounds interesting. Maybe someday.... in another life.....
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."