Default do you use propolis for medicinal uses?

Do any of you use propolis for medicinal uses? How do you use it...chew it? Do you scrape it off the frames and store it? How do you store it?

Default Re: do you use propolis for medicinal uses?

Propolis has many medicinal uses - you could search beesource and internet. Most common form is a tincture of propolis in alcohol. I wrote a few posts on beesource with detailed description how to use the propolis - you probably could find it via search. Sorry for short answer.
    Серёжа, Sergey

This is a link to document with extensive info on propolis and its preparation and uses:
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e14.htm#5.7
    Note that at the bottom of the page is a button for the next page.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

My bees don't produce lots of propolis. So I am thinking to use a trap to get me some.
    Whenever I find them I will chew on them right there. But here said to mixed with peanut
    butter for better digestion of the propolis. I still need to harvest more in order to know
    what to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    ... I still need to harvest more in order to know
    what to do with them.
    Nooooo!
    What you need to do: when clean up the hive after winter, you have debris, dead bees, some propolis etc. - put all this stuff in the bottle (1/2 volume) and fill up with vodka (full)- keep in dark place (room temp) for a few months - drink slowly, not more than 1/2 shot-glass before dinner. Be healthy!
    Серёжа, Sergey

I put on a propolis harvester/trap so they will try to plug in the extra space at the top of the
    hive. So these are the yellow color sticky propolis not the black dirty one that overwintered. Every time I open this
    top I can scrape off some more. There is a flow going on now so they can get more. Every time I harvest more they will collect more to try filling in the extra space at the hive top. My hive top is an observation type under the normal top cover which trap the warm air inside that the bees not like the light shining in. Once I refined more of this trap then I can harvest more. This is a fun project so far. Too bad my bees do not collect them much. I will figure out this process to make it more efficient someday.

I've used propolis tincture to remove warts on my foot. Took time but worked.

I make a salve with bee wax, honey and comfrey which we use for cuts, scrapes and light abrasions and reducing scaring. It works very well already, but this year we will be adding tincture of propolis into the formula.

Michael, that's good to know, my son has been trying for a couple years to get rid of the wart on his foot, going back and forth to the doctor and spending $$$. I try to take some raw propolis every day, I don't chew it but make a small ball of it and swallow it like a pill with some water. John

John, I saw a post here that taking with peanut butter (I don't like) will help with the absorption.

Can royal jelly be gathered from the hive its medicinal properties are well documented .

Yes, it can. The Chinese people recognized this a long time ago. Many products are made from
    royal jelly too. There are a few company that harvest them in large quantity here in the u.s.
    My thinking is there has to be a better way to harvest without killing the queen bee. Maybe in
    early stage of development with lots of nurse bees.
    Earlier last week I put a new laying queen bee inside a marking tube. But I did not crush proof
    this tube. Then I made a quick hand gesture to accidentally pushed on the plunger too fast. It crushed
    the queen bee on her head. She was all crunch up with legs and body all shaking into a small ball. She
    was barely moving and twitting all over. I thought she was a goner for sure. So beeing barely alive I
    put her back inside the hive again. After 7 hours I checked on her. To my surprise she was crawling all
    over the hive normal again. Seems like everything back to normal just like before. Her body all swelled up
    like she never been crushed.
    This week hive check that she laying again in solid pattern. Lots of eggs and young larvae now.
    Now I know how royal jelly is so powerful can even revived an almost dead queen after a trauma.