Default What is a queen castle?

I have heard this term used on Beesource, but do not know what it is. Would someone who has a queen castle please define what it is, and its use?

Phil

Default Re: What is a queen castle?

It's a nice way to have 3-4 queens in one box - so you can have 3-4 separate colonies (i.e. 2 frames each) in one compact spot. I used one for mating queens.

Michael, do you have a provision for feeding with those? It doesn't look to me like the commercial ones could accomodate a feeder, although I've never used a commercial one. I made my own, and put feeders on top. My assumption was that such a small colony with lots of house bees would greatly benefit from having feed on (due to the lack of very many foragers).

I have a Brushy Mountain medium queen castle, a home built 3x3 "castle", and three "queen tenements" made from 8-frame medium boxes... The "queen tenements" have one 3-frame section and two 2-frame sections.

For feeding I drilled 3/16" holes in the individual section covers and used jar feeders made with 1/8" brass tubing. A second box encloses the jars. Take a look at the thread below.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...h-brass-insert
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Thanks all!

Phil

>Michael, do you have a provision for feeding with those?

If I were building them again, I would design it so I could pour syrup on the bottom to feed. I only feed to get the queens to fly. If they were just short of food I would give them a frame of capped honey. If I want a queen to fly, I use those cheap paper dixie cups and squish it enough to fit betwee the two frames and put a tablespoon or so of syrup in it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF