Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting together information for potential hive hosts

A few family friends are considering hosting my hives, but they understandably want to know what they're getting into. I'm looking to put together an information sheet or packet for them. How much information on the honey bee would you include? Anything else aside from a sample agreement? Also, how much honey should I provide - assuming I have to buy it from another local beek for my first 1-2 seasons?

Thanks!

Default Re: Putting together information for potention hive hosts

Why enter into an agreement where you have to buy someone else's honey? They might end up wanting their honey not yours. Tell them it is a two year investment and like all investments it is not warranted.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Excellent point, Brian! That possibility never entered my mind.

I have read that honey production isn't guaranteed in subsequent seasons either, any suggestions how I could put this in writing? Basically so the landowner can have realistic expectations? I'm hoping to manage more for increases than honey production in the beginning. Of course the bees could have different ideas....

It doesn't sound like your hives are being "hosted". It sounds more like renting a site...

A few family friends are considering hosting my hives, but they understandably want to know what they're getting into.
    I would consider finding another host, one that will simply be happy to have the pollination benefits... And simply give them honey WHEN you have some to give. I found one host on Craigslist.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

You're right, BC, I'd love to have that kind of host, but I'm pessimistic.

As background, I tried CL with no luck. The locations I had arrangements with have seemingly fallen through. Both previous locations were familiar or already had bees, were amicable in person, and didn't want anything in return when I met them in person, so it wasn't that I did a crappy sales job. I didn't pester them afterwards except to send a brief email thanking them for their time. With the last yard I notified them of the delivery date (per landowners request) by email. Previously enthusiast person is suddenly unresponsive. I waited a week and followed up by phone. No response as of today (a month later). I know they're alive and well thanks to Facebook.

So...I'm now trying to keep it to family friends. Unfortunately, they either know nothing about bees or are deathly scared of them. I have bees coming and no place, so it's kind of desperate. The agreement is more to allay any concerns for someone ignorant of bees than them being a____holes.

I'll try CL again, but I'm not what people expect when they meet me in person. Let's just say I'm used to it. Don't think it's going to work out.

If they are friends there should not be any charges. If you make a crop of honey give them a pound if you don't then maybe next year. Keep it simple.
    You have allot invested and you take all the risk, you should not be paying if your not making a crop of honey.

I put swarm traps on allot of people, I tell them if I catch a swarm I will give them a some honey(if I have it). Most are friends and would do it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutlaw View Post
    I'll try CL again, but I'm not what people expect when they meet me in person. Let's just say I'm used to it. Don't think it's going to work out.
    What do you mean, you are not what they expect when they meet you? YOU are the UrbanOutlaw. If you/host need something in writing, keep it simple. Who is going to take care of the hives? Will some host be interested in learning? I would offer 1/4 of any given harvest, more if they are going to be in the trenches with me. What is wrong with your yard?

You could also contact a Land Trust and post something in any coop/organic foods sort of store...

Did you place the cl post in the farm and garden section? I had several responses.

Good luck!
    BeeCurious

Try CL again sometime it takes awhile to find the right buyer/seller...
    Do you have a local news paper, might be better than CL

I am guessing you can't have bees where you live now? Can you change that? Roof top?

Try educating one of you friends or family on the benefits having of bees.

You still have plenty of time. Once you secure a location bring your empty beehives and set them up.

I think CL can be a pain for something like this. I also think you were a little aggressive in your expectations.

In our area bee clubs are having a lot of interest from new comers. As a ace in the hole you might consider starting these hives for newbies who will be rip roaring anxious come spring time. The idea is to tone down your goals by offing some of these hives and give yourself some time to acquire bee yards to ramp up. If ten newbies start up this year probably half will quit and you will already have an in for buying back their equipment for cheap. Not being established as a long time beekeeper and showing up with pen an ink is most likely going to turn people off.

My experience with CL is pen and ink is worthless. If you can't make a deal with a hand shake it isn't going to be a good deal. Be prepared for disappointment.
    Brian Cardinal

I figure if I answer in-line the post will make more sense:

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    What is wrong with your yard?
    HOA prohibits beekeeping. I would love to keep them here though!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Did you place the cl post in the farm and garden section? I had several responses.
    Yes. I got responses, but both places pulled the same thing of agreeing to have the hives, then later disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I think CL can be a pain for something like this. I also think you were a little aggressive in your expectations. [....]

My experience with CL is pen and ink is worthless. If you can't make a deal with a hand shake it isn't going to be a good deal. Be prepared for disappointment.
    Not sure what you're referring to "aggressive in [my] expectations". If you could elaborate perhaps I develop more realistic expectations. Thus far, my only real expectation is that people would keep their end of a verbal agreement. If they changed their mind they could at least give me the courtesy of saying so. Or is that an area where my expectations are out of line? I'm infamous for missing the obvious.

My husband has said if we can't find a host by the first week in March we'll sell the hiveware and bees. I don't usually give up easily, but after reading your post maybe he's right.

Last spring I was looking for places to put additional hives so I ran an ad in the local paper. I requested space for a bee yard in exchange for free pollination. I was absolutely inundated with responses. When I spoke to them on the phone I let them know what I was looking for and got a little more info about what kind of land they had. I then selected the best 3 and met them in person. I explained how much space would be needed, what access I would need and how frequently I would be there. We discussed where they would be placed, and what it would be like having them on their property. In the end I selected 2 of them and both sites worked out well. I typically give the land owners a 3# bottle and they are delighted. Both land owners have been happy and would like additional hives, as well as a neighbor that would like hives on his land. In total I have 3 out yards and all of them are within a 15 minute drive.

I may just be lucky with the region I am in, but I can’t imagine having to pay (Money or x% of a crop) to place bees when there are so many people who would like them just for the pollination benefit.

My husband has said if we can't find a host by the first week in March we'll sell the hiveware and bees. I don't usually give up easily, but after reading your post maybe he's right.
    I would encourage you to continue looking for a place and not to be discouraged by anything others say!! 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thus far, my only real expectation is that people would keep their end of a verbal agreement. If they changed their mind they could at least give me the courtesy of saying so. Or is that an area where my expectations are out of line?
    LOL any business that involves the general public will be subject to people claiming they will do something, change their mind and then never inform you. Many will go so far, as you stated above of not answering the phone or returning your calls. In very rare cases some people do let you know but don't ever count on it. It is always best to build a business slowly so you can learn all the gotcha's that could crush a new business venture. Scale your idea down until you make the right connections and then expand.
    Brian Cardinal

I believe we're discussing a hobby here, and not a business startup.

urbanoutlaw... relax a bit. And pass that advice to the spouse. There's no reason to sell woodenware... Let's not be extreme.

I'm not what people expect when they meet me in person.
    That's refreshing... too often, I find that people are exactly as I imagine them to be.

relax...
    BeeCurious

Default Now I get it...

I will try to relax, take a deep breath, and not act like an idiot. A tall order indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I believe we're discussing a hobby here, and not a business startup.
    Wow!! I had no idea anyone thought I was referring to a commercial venture. I'm not (quite) that ambitious. We're talking 2, possibly 3 hives here. Or more like 2 hives and a nuc. Talk to me in 10 years....maybe then. Perhaps if I speak softly and bring sugar the bees will let me upgrade to 5 hives. On a serious note, I'm still glad to hear any advice, just preferably for a new hobbyist looking for a spot.

I advertise on CL for bait hives sites, and once I have a catch there, the people are often fascinated and don't want me to take the bees off site. At one site they bought half the crop at retail and later called wanting to buy the rest also.

Urbanoutlaw,

I place a 3.5 index card on bulletin boards in local grocery stores. I end up getting more offers than I can use. Here's last year's card:

got bees.jpg

I have 18 yards spread across 11 families' property. All on a handshake and a promise by me to pull or move the bees if something isn't right.

I try to provide the landowners with 2 pints of honey per colony. They understand that it's agriculture and there's not always a guarantee of a crop.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Default Re: Now I get it...

Wow!! I had no idea anyone thought I was referring to a commercial venture. I'm not (quite) that ambitious. We're talking 2, possibly 3 hives here. Or more like 2 hives and a nuc.
    OH so sorry. I thought you were the person that had 20 queens on order. Finding a place for two hives shouldn't be that much of a problem.
    Brian Cardinal

Default Re: Now I get it...

Quote Originally Posted by NowThen View Post
    I place a 3.5 index card on bulletin boards in local grocery stores. I end up getting more offers than I can use. Here's last year's card:

I have 18 yards spread across 11 families' property. All on a handshake and a promise by me to pull or move the bees if something isn't right.

I try to provide the landowners with 2 pints of honey per colony. They understand that it's agriculture and there's not always a guarantee of a crop.
    If you don't mind me lifting your card as a template, I'll try it in my family's locale. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I thought you were the person that had 20 queens on order.
    I didn't even order queens to requeen my packages after starting a thread on the subject. I'm dying to mess around with the different breeds, but all in good time.