Hybrid View

Default Happy in Kentucky!

hivefeb2013.jpgfebbees.jpgfebbees2.jpgfebbees4.jpgfebbees4.jpgChecked on my hive today. 45 degrees and very very sunny. Upon approaching the hive, bees were coming and going vigorously! Barely peeked under the lid to see a lot of happy looking bees! Stopped down close to the entrance to see closer for a few minutes, and observed bees bringing in a pale yellow pollen! So happy and excited that spring is getting closer!!! Had to share!
    Last edited by MelanieWoosley; 02-09-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: to add photos

Default Re: Happy in Kentucky!

Thanks for sharing... but pics would be better! lol

All I can see is 14" of snow!

I'm with Mr. Beeman: Pics or it didn't happen

Glad to hear your hive is alive and kicking!

Melanie, might still be a good idea to lift the top super a bit to see how heavy it is, and make sure you still have stores to get through the next couple of months. My bees looked great when I checked them 2 weeks ago, but they had less than 10 lbs of stores left--definitely not enough to get them through. They had plenty going into winter, but they've been pretty active all winter and have used a lot.

Mine were flying today, just a few late in the afternoon, but it was only 42 out. Nice to see both hives with activity, and I can't lift either one with one hand, so they are in good shape.

Guess that means I need to get busy tonight and tomorrow making frames for shallows, I'm going to need them soon.

Peter

I've never posted a pic and can't figure out how to! Of course I took pics, I was so excited to hear the buzz!!

Mountain camp in place, with sugar. It's a single deep so I'm watching it carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Thanks for sharing... but pics would be better! lol

All I can see is 14" of snow!
    I figured it out and posted!

Awesome! It feels so good to go up on these warm days and see activity and know they are making it through the winter!

Two days ago I was inspecting here 120 miles south of the 48th paralell and it was absolutely windless (rare here) and the bees were thick over the beeyard. Now this morning the furnace is running and I look out over the snow in the yard. I read a gulf coast beekeepers post about his bees exibiting pre swarm bearding and that is good news too for us up north. If you chigger fighters get your bees built up early, our queens and packages will be closer to on time. My survival rate to this point is 90%. Hope it lasts.

Melanie, I'm in Nelson County good to hear about your bees, mine have been flying too on these warm days. I don't think my bees have stopped bringing in pollen. Even with some of the cold temps and frost, they bring in pollen if we get more than a day or two of warm weather, which we've definitely had. I've seen henbit petals on some of my bottom boards and of course dandelion, also seeing what looks like elm pollen coming in, Tan in color. I checked some of the elm trees on our property and if I'm seeing them right they were blooming, although frost had hit the night before so can't be sure. The maple buds are starting to swell and my daffodils are swelling so maybe we'll be lucky and hit an early spring.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown