Thread: Moth balls

Default Moth balls

I just recently set a storage building near, and for my Apiary. I plan on keeping almost all of my new foundation in the house, in the basement. However drawn comb will be stored in the building. I know that the recommendation is to put them in bags with paramoth,and then air for a couple of days. What I need to know is if I keep moth balls scattered about the building, 1. will the slight smell of the moth balls affect the bees acceptance to the equipment, and 2. will if really help keep the moths out of the building, and out of my drawn comb? I don't believe the commercial beeks bag, and paramoth all theirs. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Default Re: Moth balls

A weak concentration will do little but get moths used to PDB. I use fresh air and Florida sunshine - stacking supers crosswise in the open on elevated open air stands. When I was commercial, I used to stack them tight and put PDB on newspapers with a rimmed cover in the shed.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I've been having good luck with the bt sundance has for sale. The naturally grown standards approve of BT.
    Remember there are 2 different kinds of mothballs, the one with the wrong chemical will wreck you're equipment.
    Dan

Don't use mothballs. Use the paramoth crystals (PDB). We just stack the supers in 8-high stacks and place a paper plate with a few tablespoons of PDB on top and cover them. Air them out good before placing on a hive. You could place a couple of paper plates around your storage building also, but no need for it.

Thanks guys, all good advice. I think I will use the paramoth crystals as I have plenty of it. I'm thinking that maybe I might put empty spacer supers that I made for top feeding with quart jars under them with a paper plate with a couple of tablespoons of it then cover the top.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Use Paramoth crystals. The mothballs you get from Wally World will contaminate your equipment and eventually kill your bees.
    Most of what I know about beekeeping, the bees taught me out of self defense!

PDB is absorbed into your wax it's use is illegal here in New Zealand I wouldn't touch the stuff but to each their own

Frazzledfozzle, I do not like mothballs. I got some used equipment that smelled like them and cleaned it and torched it and got rid of the frames.

Since then I have kept the new frames in hives and when I have some I need to store I freeze the frames first and then I put them over a strong hive to defend. I am lucky that I don't really store many frames. What is your technique for storing the frames? I am up for some non chemical storage ideas.

Only non chem. method I've heard of other than freezing is hanging the frames exposed to air, & light. The moths don't like it.
    Dan

Hi Dan, Thanks for the response. I heard that too. I guess if I built a greenhouse type setup to keep frames in the moths would stay off cause of the light provided I spaced the frames apart. The moths have only taken hold on my stuff when the frames were in the dark. Last year I put some frames leaned against the window of my shed and it seemed to work as far as keeping moths off but it was only a few that I tried it with. I had a really weak hive get moths but other than that the bees seem to keep things in check provided the frames are in a colony bustling with bees. I'm trying to not use any chemicals. I have a sensitivity to that mothball smell at this point. Reading about mothballs makes me want to keep it away from the bees.

Another newbee question......
    After freezing the frames, is it okay to keep them in a sealed container in my crawlspace or do I still need to keep them in the light and air?
    Thanks!