Default Does pollen = nectar?

My bees are bringing in a LOT of pollen here at the start of February. I'm seeing dandelions a-bloomin' so I'm thinking that's a good part of it. Does pollen coming into the hive mean that nectar also is coming in? My reduced entrances are clogged with bees trying to get in. Love the activity!

Default Re: Does pollen = nectar?

Pollen coming in does not necessarily mean nectar is also coming in, or available. Bees can collect pollen from frost-killed plants that no longer have nectar. And they can collect pollen from plants that never offer nectar. Here's one reference:
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com/honey-b...-cedar-pollen/

There are multiple reports of bees foraging in chicken feeders, possibly for grain dust, with little chance of there being real pollen in chicken feed.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

I'm not far from you, and my bees are bringing in nectar. I added a deep to some singles today, they were stuffed full with bees and brood and starting to fill up with nectar. There were capped queen cells already, I may lose some honey to early swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_SC View Post
    I'm not far from you, and my bees are bringing in nectar. I added a deep to some singles today, they were stuffed full with bees and brood and starting to fill up with nectar. There were capped queen cells already, I may lose some honey to early swarms.
    Wow, thanks Red!!! I'll be sure to go in for a full inspection tomorrow. I'll definitely be reversing and may add a super, given your tip. Thanks!