Default Hello From Tacoma, WA

Hello!
    :-)
    This will be my 3rd spring as a beekeeper. I started with a package and last year I split that hive (rather awkwardly). My initial bees were Italians. I added a Carniolan queen to half the split. Going into the winter both hives were strong. Unfortunately my Italian hive now shows symptoms of Nosema. I am attempting natural beekeeping. Obviously I need more knowledge. Jim Miller spoke at our bee club and I have ordered his book. If I lose this hive I will start over. I am going to try a bleach drench but it may be too late. I look forward to hanging out here and learning from all of you.

Roxi in WA

Default Re: Hello From Tacoma, WA

Welcome Roxi!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Welcome Roxi!
    Thank you. Just an update..... I was able to locate some Fumagilin B locally. Will use that in some 2:1 syrup as a drench tomorrow. I used my stethoscope and hear bees in there. Not giving up on those girls yet. ;-)

Oh, and my copy of 'The Handbook for the Bee Loving Beekeeper' arrived today. Must hunt down some essential oils!

Welcome to the site!

Welcome. I am up in Issaquah if you ever need anything. I will have packages come April if you want to expand some more.

AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT A BLEACH DRENCH IS. Even the details as how it is administered and if more than once. At my age I have even forgotten what Nosema exactly is. I am guessing when I say a virus or bacteria that causes tje bees to die. Something like diarea or what? How does the county extension officer recommend you treat it? Thanks in advance for your reply and be sure and let us know how much you dilute the bleach and what you think of the treatment. Just thinking about what I imagine it woud be like I would be surprised if it didn't put the finishing touches onan already strained hive of bees.

Here is the link samoadc.
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/nose...eatment-trial/
    I was able to obtain fumigilan B locally (and quickly) so drenched with that, instead. I was encouraged by the number of bees in the hive. Fingers crossed that I caught it early enough.

And yes, Nosema gives the bees dysentary. Other bees then clean up the mess and ingest the spores, spreading the illness through the hive. Not pretty. The weakest bees can't fly so wander around on the ground in front of the hive.