Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

concerned about GE corn in Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
Will it hurt bees in my organic garden? There's a field of Triple Stack about a quarter mile away. It's been planted and harvested for two seasons.
Geri

#3 ·
Well, will the wind carrying GMO pollen contaminate my heirloom corn? Must they both be tasseling at the same time for contamination to occur? And what if GMO pollen drifts into surface water of the irrigation ditch next to the Triple Stack--won't the bees drink that water and ingest the GMO pollen as a result?

#4 ·
And what if GMO pollen drifts into surface water of the irrigation ditch next to the Triple Stack--won't the bees drink that water and ingest the GMO pollen as a result?
They certainly could. Keep in mind that your bees will forage for pollen and nectar (and consume water) in roughly a two-mile radius around you. It's likely that within that space they may encounter plants treated with pesticides, water with common contaminants, other GMO agriculture products and potentially other bees exposed to the same environmental factors.

#6 ·
honey from those fields will be contaminated, right?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "contaminated". If you're concerned that the honey might contain pollen and nectar from non-organic sources around you, then I suppose you could consider it "contaminated". I'm guessing you're interested in producing "organic honey".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.