Question Large number of bees crawling out of hive and freezing to death

Hi, today I noticed a large number of dead bees in front of one of my hives. I thought it was unusual, but I left and didn't think much about it until tonight, when I saw that the number grew to very abnormal levels, hundreds of them, all in one big mass. The bees were crawling around the top entrance and falling to the ground and freezing to death. I suspect dysentery to be the cause, as I saw some feces around the entrance. So, my question is should I block the entrance with screen or let them be? I'm not sure if it would change the outcome of the hive, but I want to save them if I can.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

Default Re: Large number of bees crawling out of hive and freezing to death

Hi, Nathan. This is still a mystery as I have read on several posts regarding this situation. Did they came out to potty but too cold for their body to handle? Bees just came out in the middle of winter and freeze to death in numbers is strange it seems. And what have you been feeding them inside the hive? I guess they cannot hold it in any longer. When they have to go then they have to go, right. Oh, too cold and too confused to go back inside the hole. Blocking them in will make them explode. How would you feel about that? I wonder how many days they can hold on without taking it outside? I am worried about them after 3 days of continuous raining.
    Here is an idea. Make a small square box and cover the hole entrance so that they can cluster inside the square instead of exposing to the cold outside. You think that will work? It is like a small hive shelter area hanging/stacking within a bigger hive. Maybe you can improve on this idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beepro; 02-09-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Take a sample of bees that just died, and send them to your provincial apiculturist. Have them checked for Tracheal mite.

I agree with Michael - this is a classic indication of Tracheal mite infestation.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Thanks for you replies, I am starting to think it is tracheal mites because I see another hive had a cleansing flight and they didn't have a big die-off.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin