Default Petition the Obama administration to direct the EPA to commission a study

A White House petition to:

Direct the EPA to commission a comprehensive third-party study of the effect of agricultural chemicals on honeybees.

According to the American Beekeeping Federation, honeybees contribute over $14 billion to the value of US crop production. However, large-scale die-offs (30-80%) of commercial bee colonies are occurring, affecting the growth of important crops such as almonds and apples which require bee pollination.

While many studies have been conducted, no well-funded, large-scale study on the complex relationships between bees, chemicals, and agriculture has been done.

The Administration should direct and fund the EPA to commission an impartial, third-party comprehensive study of the effects of pesticides, fungicides, and commercial beekeeping practices on honeybee colonies in the U.S. and abroad in order to determine which (if any) chemicals should be limited or banned.

Created: Feb 07, 2013
    Issues: Agriculture, Environment, Natural Resources
    Learn about Petition Thresholds
    Signatures needed by March 09, 2013 to reach goal of 100,000

Link to sign the petition

http://wh.gov/p74m

Default Re: Petition the Obama administration to direct the EPA to commission a study

Quote Originally Posted by jdawdy View Post
    The Administration should direct and fund the EPA to commission an impartial, third-party comprehensive study of the effects of pesticides, fungicides, and commercial beekeeping practices on honeybee colonies in the U.S. and abroad in order to determine which (if any) chemicals should be limited or banned.
    I think I had said something like this before, the Administration (government) doesn't have funding. Funding always comes from the industry that the study is intended to help. If the industry wanted to fund such a project it wouldn't need the government. It is very difficult if not impossible to get unbiased studies because of where the funding comes from for anything.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Petition the Obama administration to direct the EPA to commission a study

Why would he help farmers like us? We don't have a large enough wallet to make a difference in the that administration. But, Monsanto does.

I can't seem to resist the urge to pass by this thread anymore LOL Monsanto and/or Bayer have done expensive large scale studies on the subject from what I've read. Turned out just like they expected them to IMHO. There are none so blind who will not see. I admire your efforts but have become somewhat dis enchanted anymore. If an independent study was done and the results were different, they would want another study to find out why IMO.

If you're really interested in a third party study, contact these guys http://dels.nas.edu/banr/. Ask for the director. I think you'll find it enlightening.