Hybrid View

Default years invested until commercial

How many years of beekeeping have you all taken to get to a larger/commercial scale ?

and what do you consider commercial scale?

Ben

Default Re: years invested until commercial

That word commercial is your issue. If you are making living at bee's that would be commercial right? But, what if you have a day job and run 150 hives are you commercial or a sideliner.?

160 years, and still starving......

Roland Diehnelt
    Linden Apiary, est. 1852

I guess i worded it wrong. I am only trying to see what the growth rate might be for people who now have 100 ++ hives .
    example : it took me 8 years to grow from 2 hives to 100 ++ . : )

just a curious question here.

Thanks

Ben

If I where to consider going commercial I would be thinking of working for a commercial apiary for a min of 4 years before building my own.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

In-laws have been in the business for nearly a century; I've been at it for a few years. We're equipped to grow to a little less than a hundred hives, but we only run between 10-20. That's the right number for us to sell out of honey each season; any more, and we'd have to find a way to grab a bigger market share, or sell wholesale at a price that isn't appealing to any of us.

OK. I went from 2-11 in the same season. Then next season went to 80. The following season 150. It is a ton of work. I spend 2-3 hours every day of the year building stuff. If I miss a day I have to make it up on the weekend. It costs 20k or so for every 100 hives. Then add in the truck of 10k and forklift of 40k. So it is a huge checkbook suck hole and you might need to keep your day job.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    OK. I went from 2-11 in the same season. Then next season went to 80. The following season 150. It is a ton of work. I spend 2-3 hours every day of the year building stuff. If I miss a day I have to make it up on the weekend. It costs 20k or so for every 100 hives. Then add in the truck of 10k and forklift of 40k. So it is a huge checkbook suck hole and you might need to keep your day job.
    Did you purchase nucs or packages to go from 11 to 80 the next season ?

I will be keeping my day job , it funds the beekeeping and pays the bills LOL

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    That word commercial is your issue. If you are making living at bee's that would be commercial right? But, what if you have a day job and run 150 hives are you commercial or a sideliner.?
    Sideliner. A Commercial Beekeeper is a fulltime beekeeper who pays his bills from his honeybee business. May have a spouse who works too. Who doesn't?

400 hives or more. Income comes from honey sales, pollination, selling nucs, selling queens, selling whatever you have when you can get a good price for it.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."