Default My DIY Observation Hive

I made this last year and wanted to share it with everyone. It was surprisingly cheap and easy to make. Glass and hinges where the bulk of the cost. I think it came in at around $80. Here is a post on my blog about the process: https://cheapbeekeeping.wordpress.co...ervation-hive/ Pictures and video below. Pictures should link to larger image size.

Last edited by jarodmorrison; 02-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: My DIY Observation Hive

Nice Job. You put it together last year ... Did they successfully raise a queen? Having a more proper beespace with the flush mount glass, have they made any burr comb on it?

Are you finding it difficult to inspect the hive/protect the glass? That seems the biggest drawback to your approach with the glass. A hinged door woluld be easier to avoid accidental glass breakage. I do like the simplicity of it, thanks for sharing.

Yes, they raised a queen and are doing great. There are a couple of spots that are about the size of a quarter that have some burr on the glass, but i can live with that, I plan on having to take it outside ever 3 or 4 years and clean burr comb.

Considering making an OH. Thanks for posting this one. It looks simple and relatively inexpensive. You did a nice job on the construction and installation. I really like the flex tubing for some movement and the segregated feeder. Simple, usefull ideas.
    BTKS

I have a couple of questions. IS it made of glass or plexiglass? During the winter, because of the heat inside the house, do the bees think it's warm enough to fly and fly out on cold days?