Default Apiguard in almonds

Has anyone had any luck using apiguard in almonds? Or is it too cold. I was thinking about 3 25gram treatments in the middle.

Default Re: Apiguard in almonds

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    Has anyone had any luck using apiguard in almonds? Or is it too cold. I was thinking about 3 25gram treatments in the middle.
    We haven't tried but I know others are doing it. I have an extremely sensitive nose and happen to smell some coming out of some nearby hives while doing visible flight inspections in the almonds the other day. Man that stuff is stiff. Like 200 proof "mead" on a hot August day.

Matt- Used it in NV once in the late summer with fluctuating temps. The premise of between the supers was to keep the temp at the optimum for use because it would be in the cluster. Late fall or summer, same idea, only the product would be kept from getting too hot on the top bars. I don't think it would be an issue. I used small scoop that I calibrated to 25 grams and file cards. I would open several colonies and tip supers up on hive on other side of pallet, place the cards on the frames and apply scoop of material to the cards and then close. You can go really fast, especially if weather conditions (lightning) motivate you. I also applied powdered sugar mix across end bars at same time.

JCA- Maybe a dumb question, but what was in the powdered sugar mix you applied on the end bars?