Hybrid View

Default Asthma and bee venom allergy?

If someone has asthma is there a higher chance that they might be allergic to bee venom? My six year old granddaughter has to use an inhaler a couple of times a week and I was wondering if we need to worry about her having a bigger chance of being allergic to bee stings.

Thanks for your help,
    Ed

Default Re: Asthma and bee venom allergy?

Don't know the answer to that question, Ed. On a related note..........the apitherapist at Bee Well Therapy uses bee venom to treat asthma.

Ed, I have suffered from Asthma for years (too many to count) and have to use an inhaler a couple of times a week. I am a beekeeper and have been stung numerous times, with no reaction to the venom regarding my breathing. As a matter of fact, when I moved some hives, I was stung over 10 times and never suffered from the stings. Being stung has never affected my breathing.

I believe that anyone with asthma is more likely to develop an anaphylactic response to ANY allergen (latex, peanuts, shellfish, etc) than the general population. But, my understanding is that while they are at an increased risk, the odds of developing a bee venom allergy of seriousness (such as anaphylaxis) is lower than one to other allergens (specifically latex is one that is higher).

Does that confuse even more? LOL. What I am trying to say is that having asthma puts you at an increased risk for developing a serious allergy, but the odds of that serious allergy being bee venom is still fairly low. Statistically speaking, your granddaughter is more likely to develop anaphylaxis from the latex gloves her doctor uses to examine her than to bee venom.

FWIW, I am a 32-year-old asthmatic on nebulizer treatments 3x a day during a flare of asthma. I have never had a serious anaphylactic reaction to anything in my life (so far, knock on wood!).

I would add to the above statements, even though she is unlikely to have a serious reaction to bee venom, if she did have an anaphylactic reaction, it would likely be more serious and complicated because of the asthma. Something to be prepared for (as you should be prepared for anyone with an unknown reaction to bee venom), but probably not something to scare yourself over. Like StacieM said, serious bee venom allergies are comparatively rare.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I guess there's really not a definitive answer to my question, but it seems things are slanted to the cautious side.

In regards to asthma, does a panic attack tend to encourage an asthma attack? Most six year olds probably get a bit excited/upset upon getting stung by a bee...would that likely set off an asthma attack?

Ed