Hybrid View

Default The Most Amazing Gift of Life.

I came home this afternoon after a really crappy day at work, dealing with the public that does not appreciate anything you do it seems anymore. It was really nice today, in the 50's. But around 3:30, it clouded up and cooled off quickly.

I walked down to my struggling hive, the only one I have. There were bees scattered around on it, lifeless. The quick cooldown had caught the fliers out and they were chilled coming back in. They had made it to the hive, but were just sitting there lifeless.

I picked one up and sit it on the palm of my hand. A leg wiggled. An antenna twitched. The warmth of my hand was reviving her. Her butt started pumping.

I began collecting several more around the hive and placing them on the palm of the hand. I noticed the first one was moving good and had dropped her stinger out. "Cmon girl, don't sting the hand that brings you back to life" I thought to myself. The others were starting to come around also. That first one buzzed a few times and even come up into a defensive posture, butt in the air. But as the others started warming up and started moving around the first, she calmed down.

I picked up a twig and let her walk onto it, then guided her into the top entrance of the hive. My hive has a Kelley plastic cover that lets light in and I could see in the top entrance hole as she walked over the top cover and joined the clutch of other bees. The rest revived and made the same trip, fully revived and back safe and sound. A few of them were carrying baskets of something, maybe pollen from my hazelnut bushes.

I don't know how many were out and did not make it back to the hive today. But I felt better that I saved a few. And, I felt a little better about the day. The simple warmth of my hand brought them around.

Default Re: The Most Amazing Gift of Life.

Great story. Thank you for sharing! Sergey
    Last edited by cerezha; 02-06-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Made my day a little better.

This little journey into beekeeping has taught me a lot about the magestic little creature. It's organization and life force is more complex than most other creatures. It plays an important role in nature and may hold keys to things greater than we imagine. Yet it is fragile, but resiliant. This hobby has more rewards other than just the honey!

thay was a really cool story-nice to see someone who takes pleasure in the moment

Thanks for posting.

Beekeeping is a form of "life therapy" and I'm glad you became witness to that fact.

Big Grin Re: The Most Amazing Gift of Life.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmidwest View Post
    I came home this afternoon after a really crappy day at work, dealing with the public that does not appreciate anything you do it seems anymore.
    One reason i have bees Aplace to unwind and just think about beekeeping and nothing else. I love my bee yard.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

a nice story..thanks for sharing....i just love bees!

They have been a great stress reliever so far.

And they have been the gentlest bees that I have dealt with. Grandpa's bees would come after you if you approached the hive from the front as a kid. I was stung several times working with my mentor this summer and his bees, they have an attitude. I can sit in front of my hive to the side and take photos as the bees pass over my head. I hope all my hives in the future have the gentle nature that this one does.

Wow! I was just heading to bed after a long day of shoveling snow drifts in my driveway, but something told me to check the forum quick. So glad I did! Very inspiring and a nice happy thought before bed. Thank you!