Thread: Chat problems

Default Chat problems

It has been brought to my attention that some folks are haveing problems loging in and or posting after loging in IF you do post here, and what kind of computer you are running.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default Re: Chat problems

I can't log in to the new chat applet. I'm running OpenSuse12.3 with most recent version of FireFox & all software up to date. Got a notification of new applet requesting permission, set my browser to auto-accept & run for this applet, then chat opener window message changed to "applet not initialized" ... that's all I can get from it upon reloading the page, or trying to open chat again. Will try with another browser for the moment, but hoping to get chat functionality back on FireFox.

-EDIT-
    Chat is 100% non-functional in Rekonq browser...pop-up window opens, but then neither window is navigable

-EDIT2-
    Chrome gives me the same issue as FireFox ... I'm out of browsers

Chat no longer works for me. It's a bummer. I miss the people I've met. I believe it has to do with the fact that the site needs to update it's java chat applet due to security fixes finally patched by Oracle, the maintainer of Java. I cannot roll back and exploit my system. It would be in the site's best interest to combat against the exploit as well and update.
    There is an irc room on freenode.net called #beekeeping that a couple of us hang out in. Come join us if you're feeling left out as well.

From AddOnChat's website:

March 28

AddonChat v10.0 is in the works- and it won't be Java based!

It's been a long time since our last major update was released, and the World Wide Web has change considerably during that time. Oracle's acquisition of Java has been fraught with issues, and an unprecedented, unimaginably irresponsible security advisory regarding Java by the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) has caused a great deal of panic among our users.

Fortunately, new real-time communication technologies available in modern browsers ('WebSockets') are becoming commonplace. With most major browsers now supporting this new technology (including IE 10), we're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we're confident we have a viable "non-Java" alternative that will rival our current client software.

We'll also be launching a new web site and a new, intuitive and eye-pleasing control panel interface with the release of AddonChat v10.0. Screenshots of the new control panel can be found on our Facebook page.

Please understand that this is a great deal of work for a small company. We're effectively rewriting nearly every line of code we have- much of that code has been in use for over a decade, and it's imperative that we get this right.

More updates are coming, and within the next two months we'll be seeking volunteers to assist us in both Alpha and Beta testing of AddonChat v10.0 and the new control panel.
    Regards, Barry

These are two free feature rich IRC implementations that open up in the browser and are easy to use. They are perfect for new and experienced users alike. Always nice to see the other fish swimming in the pond, but I also understand the need for something like AddOnChat. Keep up the great work Barry! I love the community and culture you and others alike have been able to cultivate through this site. Cheers
    http://mibbit.com/
    https://kiwiirc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

March 28

It's been a long time since our last major update was released, and the World Wide Web has change considerably during that time. Oracle's acquisition of Java has been fraught with issues, and an unprecedented, unimaginably irresponsible security advisory regarding Java by the US Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) has caused a great deal of panic among our users.

Fortunately, new real-time communication technologies available in modern browsers ('WebSockets') are becoming commonplace. With most major browsers now supporting this new technology (including IE 10), we're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and we're confident we have a viable "non-Java" alternative that will rival our current client software.

We'll also be launching a new web site and a new, intuitive and eye-pleasing control panel interface with the release of AddonChat v10.0. Screenshots of the new control panel can be found on our Facebook page.

Please understand that this is a great deal of work for a small company. We're effectively rewriting nearly every line of code we have- much of that code has been in use for over a decade, and it's imperative that we get this right.

More updates are coming, and within the next two months we'll be seeking volunteers to assist us in both Alpha and Beta testing of AddonChat v10.0 and the new control panel.

Ok. with all this said I am as stupid as stupid can be when it comes to computers.................What do I need to do to get in the chat room?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

March 28

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I have had trouble w/ a cpl of things on beesource lately, since getting a new computer w/ Windows8. I could get into Chatroom at first, but when I Posted on the Forums or Replied to a PM I couldn't move the cursor to drop down for a Reply or to make a new paragraph. So, a computer Doctor installed Mozilla Firefox and that fixed the problem.

Then, after a cpl of days I couldn't get into Chatroom. Something about security setting. So the computer guy got me out of Windows8 and now I can get into Chatroom.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries