Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

So the other day a gentleman called me who oversees a retirement mobile home park here in Lakeland, FL.

Me and a buddy already removed some bees over a year ago from this neighborhood, but I believe I'll be going this one alone.

Today I stopped by to take photos/scope-out what I'll be dealing with.

Here are the photos thus far from my reconnaissance mission:

Not too sure how far they go back, but I doubt it's too far. This is right on the bottom edge of a mobile home - of course underneath the home.

Any suggestions or comments besides just getting under there with a knife and cutting them out and clipping them on my top bars that have hair-clips pre-attached?

Default Re: Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

Wow, this looks like a fairly new hive based on the color of the comb. You guys get early swarms.

I'm a fan of TBHs, but I would recommend that you do this cutout into a Lang. The problem with the hair clips is that it won't work well with fresh comb, it is just too soft. Plus with the hair clips you end up not being able to close the top tight since the zip ties will be in the way on the sides of the top bars (you could do little cut-outs on the bars for the zip ties to get rid of the gap though). You could make frames for a TBH cut-in, but it is easier to just use Lang frames and rubber bands.

I assume those strings are what is holding the insulation up there. If you cut it will all of the insulation come failing down?

Default Re: Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post

I assume those strings are what is holding the insulation up there. If you cut it will all of the insulation come failing down?
    Yes, that's part of some material that holds the insulation up. The maintenance guy gave me permission to cut-n-slash as much stuff underneath there to be able to get to whatever I need. He'll do any repairs that may be needed afterwards.

As far as placing the comb in a Lang - well - I don't have any Lang equipment yet. I only have that hippie top-bar stuff thus far.

But yes, I understand about the gaps. I may also use the hardware cloth that gets shaped into an L that have the ends sticking out like a fork where you can just stab the comb onto it. It has a very low profile. Hmmmm, I'm glad you reminded me of that. I'll look into going that route as opposed to the tie-wraps/hair-clips.

If anyone is curious about the hardware cloth being manipulated into a top bar comb-holder, let me know. I'll dig up some previous discussions about it somewhere. I haven't tried it yet personally, but just might.

No clean up! Nice!

Yes, you will probably have better luck with hardware cloth as you can have a long piece on each bar giving more attachment points to the comb.

Any suggestions for having to lay down while doing a cut-out?

I am going to bundle-up pretty good with several layers, but I just am concerned about being semi-vulnerable laying down. I'm just being a baby, I suppose, but I have some sort of fear like I'll be in a Gulliver-type situation while they have me on the ground.....but at least it looks as though this hive doesn't extend too far back at all. I'm hoping it's all right up front. However, the top pic I posted, if you look at the bottom left, those bees seem to extend fairly far back into the insulation holder.

I have a bee vac and when I do cut outs I vac all the bees off the comb first and then can take my time removing the comb, separating the honey comb from the brood comb, attaching just the brood comb to the top bars and then reintroducing the bees back to their own brood. Works a treat!

Well, at least you don't have to worry about falling off a ladder. As long as it is at least 18 inches off the ground from the bottom of the hive it should be fairly easy to do as far as getting to the comb. Suit up and you should be fine. I would bring something to lay down on like a tarp. It is nice if you can get a second person to attach the comb to the bars as you are cutting it out.

+1 on the bee vac!

I have used 1' hex chicken wire for a top bar cut out . I had stapled it to 1 side & would bend it over the bottom of comb.. If I were to do it again, I would use a top bar with spacers on each end , make sure the total of all 3 would be between 1 1/4' or 1 3/8' ,then fold a piece of chicken wire twice the depth of my TBH in half ,put comb inside half place top bar on top of comb , staple or air nail the spacers to the side of top bar < & finaly place in hive . It will be hard (or impossible)to catch the bees with the comb . Just remove the comb first then brush the ball of bees in hive or use bee Vac. Just go after worker brood. Harvest or scrap the rest.

Interesting. So you are saying to use narrow bars and then use a thin spacer to hold the chicken wire in place (I think!). I may see if I can make some thin bars like this. You could probably just use nails started on the spacer that needs to be put in place on site and then use a pair of channel locks to push the nails in so you wouldn't need to bring air tools. Kind of cut the chicken. The chicken wire wouldn't need to be full width length to do the job, maybe just a little narrow of the bottom of the hive.

Pat,
    Looks like it is bigger than what it appears to be.
    The key to this is TAKE YOUR TIME. The bees will appreciate it. I would see if you can get with a local beekeeping club to assist with a lang setup. It would be worth your time for sure. An extra set of hands as well at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

Any suggestions for having to lay down while doing a cut-out?

What kind of hat/veil will you wear? I have the fencing style (ultra breeze) and I got stung once while looking up at a hive, a bee got me on the chin where the veil was laying flat on my skin.

Also be careful how much smoke you use. I've driven bees back further under by using smoke. I try not to use any or very little only at outside entrance. This works if it's a calm hive. Almost all my cut outs have been gentle, excluding the one where a bee got me on my face.

Maybe leave some comb close to the outer entrance, so as you cut away comb going further back they will have the front comb to gather at. I read that here and wish I'd done that a few times. IMHO
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Pat,
    Looks like it is bigger than what it appears to be.
    The key to this is TAKE YOUR TIME. The bees will appreciate it. I would see if you can get with a local beekeeping club to assist with a lang setup. It would be worth your time for sure. An extra set of hands as well at the same time.
    I agree. If you have someone who can frame while you cut, especially in this situation. Have you tested them for defensiveness?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    Have you tested them for defensiveness?
    They are not nice at all.

Even before I removed the brick skirt in front of their comb, they were trying to come at me when I was just a few feet away. And when I removed one of the bricks that was right in front of their comb, FORGET ABOUT IT......they were all over me.

They are very defensive.

And I don't plan on using a smoker or vac. I don't have them and I'm going to just tough-it-out like a big boy. And besides, I've read Michael Bush saying that smokers only make the queen retreat. I would like to have a vac on this occasion, but oh well. I plan on cutting out the comb, placing them all in my top bar hive, and then I plan on coming back at night to get the hive because HOPEFULLY the queen will be in there and the majority of the bees will have made their way in as well.

As far as my veil, it's one of those ones that is separate and has the long strings to tighten and tie. It's not fully stiff because it folds up, so no, it's not like a big globe around my head. Yes, that is my main concern, that they could get on my face if the veil comes in contact with my face. I plan on using some sort of small hat/ski mask underneath to not only provide more skin protection, but to also help lift the veil from my skin surface. I also plan on wrapping some sort of towel/scarf around my neck area to insure that they can't wriggle their way underneath the veil and into my neck/face area. I also plan on duct-taping the end of my pants (several layers of pants) to my shoes so they can't climb up. I will probably also tape up my mid-section where my pants meet the top clothing.

It's still kinda freaky to me having a bunch of bees trying to get at me while I'm working. As you all know, it could get dangerous if too many get you at one time. These bees aren't calm, I guarantee you all.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    ...snip...Also be careful how much smoke you use. I've driven bees back further under by using smoke...snip...Maybe leave some comb close to the outer entrance, so as you cut away comb going further back they will have the front comb to gather at...snip. IMHO
    To this enlightened advice i would add that you should take extra supers along for the bees and comb you can't see yet.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Pat,
    I still think your best bet is to contact a local beekeeping organization. Someone (like yourself) will gladly help you out AND will probably have access to a bee vac AND have access to used lang hive components. In the process you may even find someone to hang with, build bee stuff and talk bee crap.

I have a "bee bud" and I swear we were seperated at birth!

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post
    They are not nice at all.

Even before I removed the brick skirt in front of their comb, they were trying to come at me when I was just a few feet away. And when I removed one of the bricks that was right in front of their comb, FORGET ABOUT IT......they were all over me.

They are very defensive.

And I don't plan on using a smoker or vac. I don't have them and I'm going to just tough-it-out like a big boy. And besides, I've read Michael Bush saying that smokers only make the queen retreat. <snip>
    Uh, you don't even have a smoker and you're about to lay down below a possible AHB colony?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Pat,
    I still think your best bet is to contact a local beekeeping organization. Someone (like yourself) will gladly help you out AND will probably have access to a bee vac AND have access to used lang hive components. In the process you may even find someone to hang with, build bee stuff and talk bee crap.

I have a "bee bud" and I swear we were seperated at birth!
    Most beekeepers will jump at the chance to help, take this advice!
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

>And I don't plan on using a smoker or vac.

I hope you are at least smart enough to take a few helpers, some very secure bee suits, and CHARGE a suitable fee for you efforts. Cut out bees only produce a good hive some of the time. I am amazed what newbees are doing for free or peanuts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >I am amazed what newbees are doing for free or peanuts these days.
    You learn a lot in a very compressed time frame from cutouts. And it is pretty cool to see what bees do when left to there own devices.

From the sounds of it though it may not be strictly legal for Pat to do this cutout. I thought that people were saying you had to have an exterminators license in Florida and you could only kill the bees or something along those lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast