Hybrid View

Default Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

So the other day a gentleman called me who oversees a retirement mobile home park here in Lakeland, FL.

Me and a buddy already removed some bees over a year ago from this neighborhood, but I believe I'll be going this one alone.

Today I stopped by to take photos/scope-out what I'll be dealing with.

Here are the photos thus far from my reconnaissance mission:

Not too sure how far they go back, but I doubt it's too far. This is right on the bottom edge of a mobile home - of course underneath the home.

Any suggestions or comments besides just getting under there with a knife and cutting them out and clipping them on my top bars that have hair-clips pre-attached?

Default Re: Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

Wow, this looks like a fairly new hive based on the color of the comb. You guys get early swarms.

I'm a fan of TBHs, but I would recommend that you do this cutout into a Lang. The problem with the hair clips is that it won't work well with fresh comb, it is just too soft. Plus with the hair clips you end up not being able to close the top tight since the zip ties will be in the way on the sides of the top bars (you could do little cut-outs on the bars for the zip ties to get rid of the gap though). You could make frames for a TBH cut-in, but it is easier to just use Lang frames and rubber bands.

I assume those strings are what is holding the insulation up there. If you cut it will all of the insulation come failing down?

Default Re: Just went to scope-out hive underneath a mobile home for soon-to-be cut-out

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post

I assume those strings are what is holding the insulation up there. If you cut it will all of the insulation come failing down?
    Yes, that's part of some material that holds the insulation up. The maintenance guy gave me permission to cut-n-slash as much stuff underneath there to be able to get to whatever I need. He'll do any repairs that may be needed afterwards.

As far as placing the comb in a Lang - well - I don't have any Lang equipment yet. I only have that hippie top-bar stuff thus far.

But yes, I understand about the gaps. I may also use the hardware cloth that gets shaped into an L that have the ends sticking out like a fork where you can just stab the comb onto it. It has a very low profile. Hmmmm, I'm glad you reminded me of that. I'll look into going that route as opposed to the tie-wraps/hair-clips.

If anyone is curious about the hardware cloth being manipulated into a top bar comb-holder, let me know. I'll dig up some previous discussions about it somewhere. I haven't tried it yet personally, but just might.

No clean up! Nice!

Yes, you will probably have better luck with hardware cloth as you can have a long piece on each bar giving more attachment points to the comb.

Any suggestions for having to lay down while doing a cut-out?

I am going to bundle-up pretty good with several layers, but I just am concerned about being semi-vulnerable laying down. I'm just being a baby, I suppose, but I have some sort of fear like I'll be in a Gulliver-type situation while they have me on the ground.....but at least it looks as though this hive doesn't extend too far back at all. I'm hoping it's all right up front. However, the top pic I posted, if you look at the bottom left, those bees seem to extend fairly far back into the insulation holder.

I have a bee vac and when I do cut outs I vac all the bees off the comb first and then can take my time removing the comb, separating the honey comb from the brood comb, attaching just the brood comb to the top bars and then reintroducing the bees back to their own brood. Works a treat!

Well, at least you don't have to worry about falling off a ladder. As long as it is at least 18 inches off the ground from the bottom of the hive it should be fairly easy to do as far as getting to the comb. Suit up and you should be fine. I would bring something to lay down on like a tarp. It is nice if you can get a second person to attach the comb to the bars as you are cutting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by PatBeek View Post

Any suggestions for having to lay down while doing a cut-out?

What kind of hat/veil will you wear? I have the fencing style (ultra breeze) and I got stung once while looking up at a hive, a bee got me on the chin where the veil was laying flat on my skin.

Also be careful how much smoke you use. I've driven bees back further under by using smoke. I try not to use any or very little only at outside entrance. This works if it's a calm hive. Almost all my cut outs have been gentle, excluding the one where a bee got me on my face.

Maybe leave some comb close to the outer entrance, so as you cut away comb going further back they will have the front comb to gather at. I read that here and wish I'd done that a few times. IMHO
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

>And I don't plan on using a smoker or vac.

I hope you are at least smart enough to take a few helpers, some very secure bee suits, and CHARGE a suitable fee for you efforts. Cut out bees only produce a good hive some of the time. I am amazed what newbees are doing for free or peanuts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >I am amazed what newbees are doing for free or peanuts these days.
    You learn a lot in a very compressed time frame from cutouts. And it is pretty cool to see what bees do when left to there own devices.

From the sounds of it though it may not be strictly legal for Pat to do this cutout. I thought that people were saying you had to have an exterminators license in Florida and you could only kill the bees or something along those lines.

>You learn a lot in a very compressed time frame from cutouts.
    He will Quickly learn to have used a smoker.

>He will Quickly learn to have used a smoker.
    Or a really good suit and veil!

>You learn a lot in a very compressed time frame from cutouts.
    He will Quickly learn to have used a smoker.
    Actually, a vacuum.

That was THE big mistake.

I went back over there tonight to pick up my hive that I had placed all the cut-out brood and the doggone thing was completely empty of bees. I got the flashlight out and they ALL were still holding-out underneath the home, starting from scratch.

EPIC FAIL !!

So now I'm pissed off because all that brood comb I cut out is a complete waste. I'm sure it's all dead by now since there's been no temperature regulation.

I was completely mistaken about them abandoning all that brood. They stayed with the queen and abandoned the brood. My worst fear.

SO anyhow, I contacted a local guy I've dealt with before who has a nice bee vac to see if he wants a crap-load of bees and perhaps a queen with no comb - or at least comb that's not worth too much at this point.

I'm sure he won't be interested.

Is anyone else?

If not, I may try to build a cheap vac tomorrow or I may have to go over there and douse them all with soapy water.

Anyhow, my trap-out I did previously was a complete success, but this was a complete disaster.

Not in a good mood right now - and to make matters worse, my wife who isn't fully supportive of this endeavor wasn't too happy. That explains why I don't even have a bee vac yet.

By the way, I've already been paid $60 bucks for this, so financially it's not a loss......but it's a blow to my pride and a blow to those bees.

Spray with water mist to reduce flying, shake/sweep into a box (get all you can) and tip into the hive, they will keep what they can and clean out the rest. Do this around dusk so you get as many of the foragers as you can. With luck you get the queen too. Then in a few weeks re-queen with a gentler tempered queen and you should be good to go.

It's illegal to speed too, but all of us are guilty of it.

Early Sat morning I'll be finishing up this botched cut-out.

My plan-of-attack is vacuum, vacuum a bit more, and then keep vaccuuming.

Then I'm going to spray down the whole underside area that has bee-residue with soapy water.

I'm not using a smoker because (a), I don't have one yet, and (b), these Florida bees chew up smokers and spit them out.

I'm going to be bundled-up like the Michelin-Man® again for protection, but it's going to be MUCH cooler here in Florida.......60 degrees or so in the morning......CHILLING !!!

On a side-note, my wife witnessed me doing an inspection of the hive that's thriving in my backyard that's from the SUCCESSFUL trap-out I did several months ago. Anyhow, those bees are extremely mean and were all over me. She now wants me to invest in a smoker, although with bees like this, I doubt it will knock a dent in them, however, I do agree I need one. I plan on re-queening these batches-of-bees that I am getting from these cut-outs as soon as I can. I realize they are pretty-much unworkable. Plus, I don't want these bees stinging my kids who may be playing 50 feet away.

If you don't have a smoker, how did you get the experience with one to feel that they are valueless?

If you don't have a smoker, how did you get the experience with one to feel that they are valueless?
    LOL, I didn't say they were value-less. It's just that I find it hard to believe in the extreme situation of probable Africanized bees, it most-likely won't make much of a difference.

I COULD BE WRONG !!!!

> CHARGE a suitable fee for you efforts. Cut out bees only produce a good hive some of the time. I am amazed what newbees are doing for free or peanuts these days.

I can only repeat what I said in post #19. I did a few easy ones last year with one or two helpers for $300 and we came out with about $40 an hour not including the time it took to set up the bees as a hive. Nor any income to cover our vacuum cost etc. I wouldn't drive over there for $60.