Default Supersedure Cell

I checked my 8 frame Jumbo hive yesterday and found a capped queen cell on the middle of a comb (frame). The hive has a brood pattern the size of a soccer ball on several frames. All activity with the hive is normal.

Is it possible this will be a mother - daughter hive? This queen was introduced in October 2012.

Default Re: Supersedure Cell

Did you see eggs, or the queen. When is the last time you did a mite check. How crowded is the hive. Sorry for firing so many questions. Trying to give you some reasons for the queen cell. A pic of the cell would be nice.

Mother Dtr normally does not last all that long. They are super ceding for one reason or another. It does not always make sense to us.

The hive has eggs, larvae and queen. During a midday inspection four frames were solid covered with bees. Have not done a mite check.

The cell looks like this one.

If the hive gets overcrowded, it will cast a swarm cell. That could possibly be one. If there is something that they don't like about the queen, they will supersede. They know better than us

Judging from that one picture it does look like a supercedure cell. But, it also looks like your brood nest is getting back filled. If you are feeding it looks like they have enough. If you are not feeding you need to add a super.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Judging from that one picture it does look like a supercedure cell. But, it also looks like your brood nest is getting back filled. If you are feeding it looks like they have enough. If you are not feeding you need to add a super.
    nice call
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Real good call john. Wierd how there is no other brood at all on that side. Just the sup cell.

Sorry for confusion! That picture was taken in the fall flow. Thought I stated the cell looks like this one above picture? Meaning location and size as attached to the comb.

There was brood (capped) around the cell during yesterday's inspection. Just curious why the cell was there considering hive conditions???

The bees have their reasons, we don't always know why. I have seen lots of seemingly nice queens superceded. It could be a little early to have drones even in NC.

rail.... no confusion. I still think it's wierd that the sup cell is the only one on that side of the frame. I know it's not yours.... still... wierd.

This was my only supersedure out of 4 hives in 2012. This happened around late July. All 4 hives were started as packages on April 15, 2012. All 4 Queens had a great laying pattern. Not sure why she was supercedured. These queen cells were found in the med honey supers, not in the brood chambers.

supercedure.jpg

Supercedure?? FBM calls that 50-$75 or two splits.....

This year, JRG13. I'm hoping for some more cells to do 3 splits and a couple of nucs.