Default Entrance size -getting real hot here

I have a package that has bee installed for 1 week , I have the 3/8 hi by 1 1/2 wide reducer in but was wondering when we get the 90 plus temps coming for fri. and sat. if I should go to 3'' wide or even 6'' wide .Im getting quite a traffic jam at 1 1/2 wide .

Also I made my reducers out of two pieces of wood there is a piece on top that stops the reducer form going in to far but also by design they have to climb up over 3/8 thick wood to get in , they don't seem to mind , is a a bad idea .

Default Re: Entrance size -getting real hot here

I would try the 3" first and see if that clears the traffic jam. Them move to the 6" in a couple of weeks.

I wonder if that 3/8 they have to climb over would make it harder for them to clean out the dead bees.

I wouldn't open it up very much. As a matter of fact, I would stay with the 1 1/2" opening if it's a new package.
    You might have plenty of bees now, but that population is going to decline for the next 18 days. By Day 25 after install, which is when you will get your first new bees, your population will be down to about half of what it was when you got the package. That hive is going to be a prime canidate for being robbed by a stronger hive. A small entrance is a lot easier for them to defend.

I guess I was thinking more of overheating and ventilation problems with the 90 degree temps we have coming . Maybe I don't need to worry so much about heat and more about them defending the hive. Can they manage 90 degrees with a small 1 1/2 '' entrance .

If there's a decent flow I don't worry much about robbing. I just open it up. If I'm doing that for ventilation I worry as much about the hot air leaving the top of the hive as I am about new air coming in through the entrance. Prop the cover, add a top entrance...whatever, just give the hot air a place to leave while being replaced by new air at the bottom. By the way, if you prop the top cover you're still risking robbing so if that's you main concern (and for me, it isn't) think it through. It's one of the reasons I made a bunch of ventilating inner covers.
    Last edited by Ravenseye; 05-30-2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I notched my inner covers so to help let the air move from the bottom entrance up through the hive and out the top ,I was thinking it best in real hot weather to open up the bottom entrance to let more air move through .

Bugs like 90 degree temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Bugs like 90 degree temps.
    yeah .... 90 degrees is like cancun for the girls.

Thanks good to know , I was all worried they would roast inside without more ventilation.