Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Magnifying glass for grafting

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    That looks really nice but I am wondering if a 100 watt halogen bulb might throw off a lot of heat.
    Jim,

That could very well be an issue. I don't have personal experience with that, but halogen bulbs do throw a lot of heat. An LED would be far better.

I actually bought this one in December: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/239/

It seems okay, but not super great quality - it appears to be built in Russia. I'll give it a go this spring. My son tried it and said he could see the bottom of the cells better without it - but of course 10 year old eyes can count the hairs on a flea.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Db do you have the name of the app that you used. I have download 3 of them and thay all stink. I can't even see my hand in them. They won't focus.
    The app is called "MagLight+Magnifying Glass" (abreviated on my iphone with "Mag.Light"). I downloaded it from the "App Store" at the iTunes website. At the time I downloaded it, the app was free --- now it looks like they're asking 99 cents for it. Here's a link for it https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magn...406048120?mt=8
    Triangle Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I found the Optivisor with glass lenses, wide choice of powers and diopter for $42 in the maxiaids.com catalog. Is that a good price?
    I use a 2x optivisor with light- works great.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

2x usually equates to +5.00
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Here is a magnified image of comb cells made using my iPhone Mag.Light app:
    I put a speck of sawdust in the middle, slightly damaged cell to simulate an egg or small larva --- the white speck is at the bottom right wall if the cell.

Barry: I think we need an "Applied Technology" forum. The smart phone technology is quite amazing and has many potential applications in all aspects of beekeeping.
    Triangle Bees

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    the working distance or focal lengths:

3 diopters = 13.5"
    4 diopters = 10"
    5 diopters = 8"

that's how far away the larva would have to be from the front of the maginifier to be clear.
    A little age on the thread, but...

Howdy K, hope things are well up your way, it's warming up down here in Crenshaw! I was wondering about magnifiers as I might try some grafting a little later on. My eyes ain't as young as they used to be and never were the best so I'm looking for a little help. I've found some clip-on, flip-up lenses on eBay that come in a variety of powers...+1.00, +1.25, +1.50, +1.75, +2.00, +2.25, +2.50, +2.75, +3.00, +3.50, +4.00, +4.50, or +5.00. These "look" like diopter measurements but I'm not really sure. If they are diopters would the +3.0 be good enough for grafting...I'm thinking of the working distance but need magnification,too. Harbor Freight also has a cheap set of flip-ups that one reviewer said was a +3.0, though build quality was a bit "suspect". Would losing some working distance (moving closer) with stronger lens be worth the stronger magnification?

Thanks,
    Ed