Default First Winter Inspection, Nosema?

Just did my first winter inspection today in No. Idaho and had a larger percentage of dead outs than I have in past years. Lots of fecal matter in and outside of hives that are dear so my first thought is Nosema. I know it is not confirmed until there is an autopsy. I will get them analyzed. If it is nosema, is there anything I can do in the winter months? We had a couple of mild days but the cold is coming back Thursday. Most of the dead outs still had considerable stores of honey so I assume the problem caught them early. Other hives had lots of bees and were in the top boxes.

Any suggestions/thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: First Winter Inspection, Nosema?

It does sound like nosema. I don't know if I would be eager to feed the frames of honey off the dead outs when there is no flying weather because if it needs cleaned up the bees will and the extra load may cause them problems. The nosema itself dies in the cold I am pretty sure. Knock on wood I have had none of that.

also symptoms of a small cluster, they can't get away from the hive to do there duties. how many bees were left in the cluster, if a few probably another cause, but best to test.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Nosema ceranae [the most prevalent type] does not manifest as dysentery, apis does. However, most studies report that ceranae is replacing apis in the US.