Thread: Top entrance

Default Top entrance

Those of you who use top entrances what do you use? I currently have all of my hives on migratory pallets with migratory covers but am interested in switching everything to a top entrance. Debating on how best I should go about doing this and looking for suggestions. Have to keep the migratory covers so if it involves replacing covers that's out. This last year I had a lot of issues with skunks in my yard and I don't have the time to sit outside at all hours of the night with a spotlight shooting them. Please and thank you for any and all suggestions
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

Default Re: Top entrance

Can't you just put a shim under the lid to hold one end up a bit??
    Cheers
    Rob

Skunk proofing is one of the best arguments for a top entrance.

Using a window widow shims to make a top entrance can create unwanted access along the edges of a top cover.
    If you use them, don't use window shims as they have that effect.
    Instead, split some wedge shaped shingles into shims, or make an Imrie shim open on one end

Here's how I made mine:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm

They are just a piece of 1/2" CDX plywood with shims to tip the front edge up to make the entrance. I sometimes reduce them with a piece of screen molding 2" short of the opening width with a nail in the middle to make a pivot so you can pivot it open or pivot it in and close all but that 2".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just bore a one inch hole right under the handhold in your upper brood box. they sell cap plugs cheap to fill the hole when you don't want it, but duct tape works well too.

Buy a 1x3x8 piece of wood. Cut it every 3/8th of an inch. Then you get a 3/8x3/4x2.5 piece of wood. Along one side of the migratory cover staple one in the front and one in the back so that it lays directly on top of the side of the box. You will have a top entrance along the side the same lenght as a regular bottom entrance but 3/8th instead of 3/4 in high. The other side of the cover should lay flat on the super with no issue. I like a 3/8th gap to help guard against the wax moth. I have no bees that are 3/4th of an inch high.

What is a migratory pallet? I am having a hard time coming up with a flat bottom that can last outside conditions. regular pallets have gaps in them. Plywood will no last, correct?

I made a spacer that incorporates a top entrance, an inner cover and a feeder with two holes the size of a mason jar.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyChild View Post
    What is a migratory pallet? I am having a hard time coming up with a flat bottom that can last outside conditions. regular pallets have gaps in them. Plywood will no last, correct?
    See photos linked in first post.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...h-Pallet-Plans
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I make mine like MB, but make the gap 3/4" and stick a regular wood entrance reducer in the gap. It lets me adjust the entrance to prevent robbing since I cut a 2 1/4" (I think) hole in the top of each lid for feeding with a quart mason jar. If you don't need to feed, just leave an empty jar in place to block the hole.

I break a stick off of a nearby tree and stick it under one corner of the migratory top. Works just fine.