Default Four Way Eight Frame?

So I have looked quite a few of the online plans for four way mating nucs, but they are all for 10 frame and I run 8 frame. So I guess my question is if I split my hive into four units will I have room for 2 frames in each unit? If splitting a 10 frame lang into four units gets you two frames per unit, would I be better off just splitting my hive into two units? Maybe three units? Thoughts?
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Default Re: Four Way Eight Frame?

Dan I run 8 frame hives also and use 6 5/8 depth and frames going cross ways in the boxes it holds from 12 to 13 depending I use these to store my frames I have built two way nucs divided by a 3/4 board which comes 3/4 of an inch above the boxes this is so bees from each side cannot communicant. I make my boxes to hold three frames each side and to have entrances on each ends opposite each other the boxes themselves are 7 inches deep. I use quart feeders on each side and this way I make a queen from each one you just have to make sure to catch her quickly once she is laying and replace her with a fresh cell. Tom Peavey

No. You can't get four two frame nucs out of an eight frame box. But you can get three with some room to spare. If you use 3/4" board for dividers it will come out about right. If you use 1/4" luan plywood for dividers, you can get two - two frame and one - three frame nuc out of one box if you crowd things. You need a minimum of 3/8" on the outside of each outside frame. So minimum you need 3 1/2" per "nuc" in the box plus the divider and a little more to spare would be helpful when putting queen cells in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Beesrme View Post
    Dan I run 8 frame hives also and use 6 5/8 depth and frames going cross ways in the boxes it holds from 12 to 13 depending I use these to store my frames I have built two way nucs divided by a 3/4 board which comes 3/4 of an inch above the boxes this is so bees from each side cannot communicant. I make my boxes to hold three frames each side and to have entrances on each ends opposite each other the boxes themselves are 7 inches deep. I use quart feeders on each side and this way I make a queen from each one you just have to make sure to catch her quickly once she is laying and replace her with a fresh cell. Tom Peavey
    Hi Tom, that sounds like Gentry's setup. Did you get any of Jesses boxes?

Jim

No I had a place in Oregon cut out what I wanted after I had made some of my own. My first ones were destroyed in a warehouse fire and I wanted to get moving so I contracted to have them made and put them together myself. I tried to use only two frames with inside feeder and was finding that they would only raise one queen and not make enough brood to sustain the nest so I changed and started using three frames and put on a 3/4 strip so neither side could communicate and it is now working. Also went to a top feeder. You are in Central Ca. Where? And yes I know Mrs Gentry and mine do resemble hers and she is quite a Lady always willing to talk.

I just slapped one together today and decided to split it in half. I will see how that goes this year.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.