Default ross rounds suppliers? thinking of taking the plunge, any thoughts on ordering?

ross rounds suppliers? thinking of taking the plunge, any thoughts on ordering? I read crowd the bees but don't let them swarm and you need a heavy flow. I'm going to order in the next day or so and I would appreciate any help thanks,

Default Re: ross rounds suppliers? thinking of taking the plunge, any thoughts on ordering?

Kelly and Mannlake are the first to come to mind, look at their on line catalog.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default Re: ross rounds suppliers? thinking of taking the plunge, any thoughts on ordering?

There is an $8 mail-in rebate per super. Some suppliers don't honor it. We do, and will send the voucher with each order.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

You need a very heavy flow. Requires almost daily management to remove rounds as they are finished and capped and to relocate frames. Remove as finished to keep the cappings pretty white. If you leave them they will turn yellow then dark brown. Not as attractive.

Best results by removing the queen so they can't swarm. They will attempt to make a queen, so, be prepared to remove capped queen cells for five or six days. When no cells are viable to make a queen you can let them work for a couple of weeks, then introduce a frame of uncapped brood so they can make a queen, or introduce a new queen to save the colony. At this point you can introduce more supers and let them finish capping.

Keep moving the uncapped rounds to the center for capping. Place foundation on the sides and move inward.

If they absolutely refuse to finish capping a round, remove it and replace with foundation and let them start over. If it just stays there, it will get capped, but it will become discolored as they walk on it.

Kelly Bee Co. sells everything needed to produce, package the rounds.

For me it was a novelty, but, too time consuming, so, I quit after two seasons. Gave all my Ross Round equipment away.

cchoganjr

Ross is also a member of this forum & might be willing to send them to you direct.
    Correction, usser
    lloyd@rossrounds.com
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    ... might be willing to send them to you direct.
    Here's a statement about that issue from the RossRounds website:

We do not sell small quantities at retail, and do not have a retail location. We sell direct to dealers and commercial beekeepers; requests for quotations are invited.

http://www.rossrounds.com/pages/product.htm
    I suspect that retailers of Ross Rounds products would not be very happy if exceptions were made to the posted policy.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I would really like someone to add positive comments like they are great if you want comb honey try ross rounds before I jump up and spend $100

Cut comb in regular frames is much easier. I and lots of other folks like Cleo have tried Rounds and quit. Mine sit on my shelf and my buddy gave me all of his rings/lids and I sold his frames and boxes for him on this site. They are nice when they work, but cut comb sells just as easily.

I'll throw in that we also carry Ross Rounds at Betterbee.

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Co...Ross-Round-Kit

The pieces (foundation, rings, covers, labels) can be ordered separately as well as in a kit. The $8 rebate coupon comes packed in the box and is fulfilled by the Ross Round company.

As for using them, I did for a few years prior to buying Betterbee. It was fairly easy and mess free to produce some very nice looking comb sections with them. With these, you avoid those unfilled corners that the square ones tend to have if things aren't perfect. I stopped because my customers thought they were cute, but not cute enough to open the wallet and buy them. They liked honey in glass jars and that was about it. Perhaps that is some lack of education on my part, perhaps that is the customer base. People come to Betterbee asking for comb honey. We plan to have it available this summer.

Chris Cripps
    chris@betterbee.com
    800-632-3379

Quote Originally Posted by cowdoc View Post
    I'll throw in that we also carry Ross Rounds at Betterbee.

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Co...Ross-Round-Kit

The pieces (foundation, rings, covers, labels) can be ordered separately as well as in a kit. The $8 rebate coupon comes packed in the box and is fulfilled by the Ross Round company.

As for using them, I did for a few years prior to buying Betterbee. It was fairly easy and mess free to produce some very nice looking comb sections with them. With these, you avoid those unfilled corners that the square ones tend to have if things aren't perfect. I stopped because my customers thought they were cute, but not cute enough to open the wallet and buy them. They liked honey in glass jars and that was about it. Perhaps that is some lack of education on my part, perhaps that is the customer base. People come to Betterbee asking for comb honey. We plan to have it available this summer.

Chris Cripps
    chris@betterbee.com
    800-632-3379
    Congrats on your purchase of betterbee!

I am going to try them this year. I have read that the cut comb can be easier, but I don't like the idea of having slabs draining and laying around; What appeals to me is what looks like a cleaner final package. I have made a few boxes to fit my 5 frame equipment and will see how that works. http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/us...da6ce.jpg.html
    The super for the rounds is quite fussy to make. The margin of error in making the frame rests is small because the "ears" on the frames are so short.
    I did contemplate trying the wooden sections that Kelley makes as I understand they also don't need much clean-up afterwards, but I couldn't comprehend exactly how they fit into the boxes despite Roland's efforts at explaining them to me; I won't rule them out in the future if I can't get the hang of Ross Rounds. The reason I made a couple for the 5 frame equipment size is that I have seen such productivity in these boxes I figured it was worth a try and winter is long and cold and the right time for woodworking.

flyingbrass.... Could I suggest you go on CraigsList and post, "Wanted to Buy, Ross Round Equipment". Might also check local bee club, see if anyone has some excess equipment you could buy a small qty.

I didn't mean to scare or discourage you away from trying the Ross Round System. It does indeed make some beautiful comb honey if you tend it properly, and if you have a good market for it, it will make more clear money than extracted honey, but, it is more time consuming, bees fail to capp several rounds each year. Those uncapped, I simply cut out the uncapped portion and crush and strain what has been capped.

If you have the time, try it. See what happens.

Ross Rounds are much like making Comb honey in quart, 1/2 gal. and gallon jars, where the bees make the comb inside the jars. That is also nice, but, time consuming, and every jar does not necessarily work. Neither was right for me, but, that doesn't mean it won't be right for you.

Good Luck.

cchoganjr