Default question about Ross frame jig

Planning to make this jig. http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downlo...ssemblyJig.pdf

It calls for wood that is 5 inches in width, but the 1x6s I bought are 5 1/2 inches in width. Question is whether I should cut off that extra 1/2 inch, which will be a pain for me to do since I don't own a table saw. Would need to do so with a circular saw.

Is the 5 inch size necessary for shallow frames? Medium frames?

Default Re: question about Ross frame jig

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    Planning to make this jig. Is the 5 inch size necessary for shallow frames? Medium frames?
    Yes for medium frames, 5" is to large for shallow frames. Why not just buy 1X4s instead of cutting your 1X6s down

I just built the Beesource frame jig, so this is fresh in my mind. Plans here:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...-assembly-jig/
    I like that this design has spring loaded retainers for the loose end bars. IMHO, it works well.

If you are building frames for shallows, the end bar height is 5 3/8". You will not be able to assemble shallow frames if your jig walls are 5 1/2" high.

But you can screw your 5 1/2" board to a bigger piece of wood, then use the circular saw to cut it down. Obviously, keep the screws away from the cutting area.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    If you are building frames for shallows, the end bar height is 5 3/8". You will not be able to assemble shallow frames if your jig walls are 5 1/2" high.
    Isn't 5 3/8" is the total endbar height, minus ~3/4" for the top bar and ~1/2" for the bottom bar you would actually need the jig sides to be 4 1/8" or less to clear the inside of the frame opening. I don't run shallows so can't say for sure. The opening in medium frames is a hair over 5 1/8".

Fishman43, I agree with your analysis. But sometimes a simple no is easier to understand than an explanation of why, particularly if you have not used a frame jig before.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

I like to use 1x4 material for medium frame jig. It gives more room to nail under the top bar. It really only needs to be deep enough to hold the end bars, just a couple of inches.

Built it with the 1x6 ripped to 5 inches wide.