Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What's going on with Hopguard?

32K views 103 replies 28 participants last post by  wildbranch2007 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me why Hopguard is being blocked by states? Actually as of last year some states that allowed it now have restricted it. Mass is an example. I have been watching the Mann Lake site and the # of states is dwindling. Very frustrating!

:s

#2 ·
Re: What's going own with Hopguard?

Not sure but I know that many have been frustrated with the confusion of application. They did not make it clear that you need three successive applications. Maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure.

#23 ·

Not sure but I know that many have been frustrated with the confusion of application. They did not make it clear that you need three successive applications. Maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure.
I don't think BetaTec intended for Hopguard to be used in three successive applications so there was no attempt to instruct in this type of application. I believe the "three successive treatment" regimen was discovered by beeks. BetaTec only states that it can be used three times a year...their information says nothing about making three successive applications...it appears Mann Lake is the one recommending the three successive applications. Here is a thread from a year+ ago here on Beesource discussing the "progressive application" of Hopguard.... Progressive Hopguard Treatment

Ed

#5 ·

Hopguard II is currently working its way through the registration process. It is supposed to last long enough to require only a single treatment. Early tests are quite encouraging. My guess is that is the reason the manufacturer didn't pursue getting full registration.

#12 ·

you have to realize this treatment has to be used with little to no brood present,
I don't think this is the case Ian though it is surely must be more effective with less brood present. The company suggests it is effective even in mid summer. The recommended dosage is two strips per 10 frame deep box meaning a double would need to be split and two more double strips placed down below. Also perhaps a follow up treatment or two at intervals follow up may be needed. I think that's the problem with mid summer treatment of large hives full of brood. It gets to be an expensive time consuming operation. However in my mind it would be ideal in an early spring application to safely knock back mite numbers particularly in smaller nucs and also as a fall treatment once cluster sizes have dropped below mid summer levels.

#11 ·

It sure would be helpful when people report the results of using a treatment that they include the details of how they used it, temperature, length of application, number of applications, etc.

Up till now, I've been reading mostly favorable reports on Hopguard.

#13 ·

3 hives that were crashing, 3 frames of bees with little or no brood and 30 count mite loads. After two treatments still 30 count mite loads. All three were ultimately robbed out and the mites were assuredly dispersed to other hives but was able to clean them up with oa dribble.

#14 ·

I probably need to add that the count was "sugar shake" on 200 bees done before, during and at the end of two weeks. I just didn't see any evidence that mites were being killed. Maybe I had a bad batch. Maybe it is working for others but I'm past the days of putting something in and assuming it works if the bees live. The actual count is the measure of effectiveness.

#15 ·

I don't know Tim. I am not a spokesman for the product, nor have I ever even used it but I have talked to some that have used it with good success. I look at it as just another tool that will no doubt work better in some scenarios than others, not a panacea. The real attractiveness to me is the apparent safety of the product with no real rigid treatment windows or temperature requirements though I would be a bit apprehensive about using it in real high temps.

#16 ·

http://www.betatechopproducts.com/products/varroa-mite-control

>>HopGuard® is most effective when used during the pre-pollination period (before sealed brood), mid-summer, and at the onset of winter brood development.<<
>>HopGuard® may be applied up to 3 times per year, even during honey flow.<<

Its like using an Oxalic treatment, or a flash formic, or sugar dusting,
from the results I have seen, it is very effective, but has to be done when no brood is present

I know beekeepers want to use it through out the summer, as they claim you can treat during a flow, but it doesnt mean it will be effective at that time

#17 ·

You may well be right Ian, sounds like you speak from some experience. Perhaps the whole idea of summer usage relates to the fact that it is safe enough to be used during a flow. How effective that treatment is may well be another story.

#18 ·

oh no Jim I have no experience,
but ya, oxalic can be used during a flow too, but it doesnt work,
neither does formic, or any of the other knock down control methods

boy, if Hop Guard could produce a product that holds a longer treatment period, we would be in luck

#19 ·

Im very excited about this HopGuard product. They just need a bit more time to develop it. Its not available up here yet, but i have already found a place in my operating system to include it as a nuc knock down treatment.

The key is easy on the bees and queens, and quick to use, strips are the way to go because doses can be adjusted according the the hive size

#20 ·

What is the mechanism of the effect? If it kills by volatile emissions in the hive atmosphere reaching a critical concentration, then it seems to me like factors such as hive volume, ventilation, and temperature - maybe even wind - during some period right after application would all come into play. If it works by direct contact and grooming then it seems like the current activity mode of the hive would be a factor.

For example if the hive is busy trying to fight off robbing then they might not be doing a lot of grooming. I don't know.

Almost everyone (including me) makes decisions by anecdotal evidence - I tried it, it didn't work, therefore it doesn't work. We often feel like that should be pretty conclusive, but it's not really a good method of making a decision.

Hop guard isn't available in my state (at least I don't think it is) so I haven't tried it, but I sure do wish that it would fall out as another safe effective tool.

#22 ·

Hop Guard does have a place in my treatment schedule. You need to realize that it will not kill mites in capped brood cells. When the queen is laying, something like 90% of the mites present in a hive are in brood cells, from what I remember. Therefore, if you treat with HG during this period, 90% of your mites will survive. This is why you need multi-week treatments when the queen is laying.

However, if you treat in late fall or early spring you will have better results.

MY EXPERIENCE is that I had quite a large mite drop when I gave my hive a knockdown treatment before winter.

#24 ·

I have used it for two full treatments,one in the fall of 2011 and again last fall.I was pleased with the results both times.I judged my results by sticky board counts both before and after treatment.
A typical result was 6-12 mites before treatment and anywhere from 56 -246 the first morning after the first treatment with numbers dwindling over the next three days.Second treatment yielded far less mites and the third treatment could just as well have been skipped as the mite count was down to almost nothing.Our fall (October) temps are in the 80's most days with nights in the 60-70 degree range.There is always plenty of brood present at that time.
FWIW I had low mite counts this spring but put on grease patties anyway.There was almost no mite drop,3-8,from the patties.I still have not gotten around to doing a sugar roll to double check.
Take away from this is;try it.If it works for you use it.If not move on to something else.It's obvious from the postings that some of us get good results and some do not.

#26 ·

FWIW I had low mite counts this spring but put on grease patties anyway.There was almost no mite drop,3-8,from the patties.I still have not gotten around to doing a sugar roll to double check.
Take away from this is;try it.If it works for you use it.If not move on to something else.It's obvious from the postings that some of us get good results and some do not.
Good report on the hopguard but I'm confused about what your purpose was for using grease patties as it seems that you are looking for measurable drops of Varroa mites from their use. I'm a newbee and may be very wrong, but aren't grease patties used for controlling tracheal mites rather than varroa mites? :s

Ed

#25 ·

I've had excellent results using with Hopguard. The key has been pointed out many times. Three successive applications. I have had absolute success using it in this way. I've been using it at the end of summer when I pull my supers for the last 2 years. It has worked as well as anything I've tried. If I was treating a few hives I would continue using it but last year I treated 30 hives and it was expensive. 4 strips per hive X 3 treatments = 12 strips. Multiply that times 30 and it is not a cheap way to go. This year I'll be running around 50 hives and have no intention on using Hopguard for that reason alone.
In my opinion it works really well as long as you understand that it will not help with capped brood (hence the multiple treatments).

Mike

#27 ·

It doesn't kill by volatile emissions it kills by contact, the bees have to spread it around. It does not kill mites in brood.

After studying the company's own data I was left unsure if one treatment was enough with brood present, the question was not properly answered on their site. So I emailed them & got an answer that dodged the question. So I emailed them back and got another answer that avoided the question. I was considering importing the product for re-sale so sent them more emails explicitly asking my question but no matter what, could not get a straight answer. They either did not know (unlikely), or were fudging.

So what's left is to read any reports on beesource. Many report a big mite drop so presumably it can work. Will one treatment do a whole brood cycle? Not according to the findings of most who have used it. Depending on the strength of the hive the cardboard soaked in the product is chewed out in a few days, then mite drop falls dramatically. So a repeat application weekly for a minimum of one brood cycle would seem nessecary.

That's the best I can figure it, based on info and lack of info from the company, and info from beesource members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.