Default How many mediums will 3lbs fill

Im just getting ready for this spring to start beekeeping. Im wondering how many mediums a 3lbs package of bees will fill. I will be using foundationless frames. Need some advice please.

Default Re: How many mediums will 3lbs fill

I would still go with just one box at a time. Just keep an eye on them and add another box once they get 70 to 80% drawn out. I think most people over winter with three mediums.

A three pound package will fit in a five frame medium nuc box (with frames of Honey Super Cell)...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I would start with 2, one will be a bit crowded and need a second fairly quick. Start with 2 and your good for probably 4 months.

Medium nuc or 8 frame or 10 frame?
    One box for 8 or 10. Like john said add another when 70 -80% full.

I've viewed probably 50-60 package installations and this way seems to be the most common set up.

Last edited by Mr.Beeman; 02-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.

3 pounds will just fill a five frame medium nuc box with no drawn comb. It will HALF fill one medium ten frame box. I would install them in one box. If you have a nuc and no drawn comb, I would install them in the nuc box, but I wouldn't go buy one just for that purpose...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Believe it or not all 3 lb packages are not equal, some are closer to 4. A true 3 can be tough with no comb. If you are starting without foundation and without any drawn comb, small space is much safer. How cold will it be at night when you install ? If 30's or lower I would not hesitate to throw on an insulated top with feed hole. When they have comb it is like you sleeping with a blanket compared to sleeping without. Overkill is a misnomer when getting them started on bare frames in the spring.
    Early spring on bare frames in a cold state; one box max and a nuc is better if you have it.

I use one and then check often. If you have a good flow and good bees, they could be ready for a second one in two weeks.

I have two packages coming this spring. I have 8-frame deeps for them. I have drawn comb with uncapped honey and pollen in the freezer.

For each box, I had planned on 4 drawn and 4 undrawn comb. I am thinking that they will build comb for eggs on the undrawn frames. I heard the term "honey bound" last year and I don't want to start with that situation. Am I on the right track, or should I just put all drawn frames with honey in each box?
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I think you'll be ok there slow, since the queen will lay up to 1000 eggs in a single day. She should fill up those drawn combs rather quickly.

How many Warre boxes for a three pound package?

> Am I on the right track, or should I just put all drawn frames with honey in each box?

If you have enough to give them drawn frames, give them drawn frames. Drawn combs belong in hives where the bees can use them and protect them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Drawn comb will give a package a big head start, but don't put more in that they can use (four or five is a good number) with the rest foundation or empty frames.

I personally prefer to use at least one sheet of foundation in a hive for a swarm or a package (and a drawn comb if you have it), keeps the wild comb building down.

Since the number of bees won't increase for at least three weeks with a package (or swarm for that matter), a nuc box will be fine, but you will need to be ready to move them as soon as they have the comb drawn and filled, or you will be losing out on comb production as the brood emerges. With a package, you don't want to delay buildup, at least not here, as you will run the change of missing too much of the spring flow and end up feeding all summer and fall.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    How many Warre boxes for a three pound package?

How many Jumbo frames for a three pound package? I've noticed 2 frames for three pounds.

4 or 5 frames?
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 02-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.