Hybrid View

Default Top bar lid suggestions

I built a top bar hive 15" wide by 48. I have a simple plywood lid on it 1/2 inch shorter than the hive. I intend to set in a very sunny location in georgia. Do I need to make a more complex top for temperature control?

Default Re: Top bar lid suggestions

If your topbars are thick then simply painting your roof white would probably work. If it gets too hot then maybe a layer of styrophom would be necessary. I would start with the white roof first then complicate it as necessary.
    Cheers
    Rob

one more thing.. flush to the bars or not?

I would make the lid long enough to be sure the rain stays off of the top bars, and out of the interior of the hive. And if it just a plain piece of plywood, you need a method to stop it getting blown off the hive - bricks, rocks. straps, etc.

My TBHs have a 1/2" gap at one end before the first bar to serve as an entrance. The flat lid sits on top of the bars and extends about 3 inches beyond the entrance to serve as a rain shelter.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

old roofing tin works VERY well.. cut it at least 6-8 inches longer and wider than the hive.

take two 2x4's and place them on top of the top bars spaced apart (these are to hold the tin off the top bars and to allow air flow between the tin and the top bars).

THEN tie the tin down with an old rope..

go back home and have a cold one,,

I had some left over reflectix which is like reflective bubble wrap that is now my tbh roof. it'scheap, light and highly reflective for those hot summer days.