Default Timing-Adding Supers

The Red Maples are starting to bloom in the Piedmont of North Carolina along with some Dandelion. Is it to early to add a super of drawn comb?

Default Re: Timing-Adding Supers

Clearly I am not in NC, but I can tell you that it is generally better to put a super on too early than too late. We are still in the teens. I am envious.

Dandelions are always my cue for adding supers.

I opened the hive (2 ten frame deep); bottom deep had brood and full of bees, top deep had eight frames of honey and covered with bees.

The girls were bringing in maple pollen (gray taupe color) and nectar, they were loaded heavy. I added a deep of drawn comb.

Need someone in mid-tenn to reply to this question...got the same situation as RAIL

oldforte, i live over in Martin now but grew up around nash so i know mid tn. I think it may still be a little early but probably no harm in trying. It should be warm enough the next couple days for flight and monday is supposed to get close to 60. You could put them on today, check them monday and see if there is anything coming in. If not then you can always take it back off. Not much risk of hive beetles this time of year so i would say, why not??
    Jason Young

If you see white wax being laid down on the top bars, it is definately time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    If you see white wax being laid down on the top bars, it is definately time.
    I just moved my bottom supers to the top and started to doing 1:1 sugar feeding and protein patties. One hive has a deep in the middle of two shallow boxes and one is in three medium boxes. One hive has a runt queen that's laying a fair pattern right now which I plan to replace in April. The other hive has a normal looking queen but it's looks like an italian queen but came from Carniolan stock last year and is not laying right now (honey locked) which should kick in gear with feeding and more room. Both queens were in top boxes. A lot of hive beetles got clobbered by the cold temps the last two weeks and are dead on the slide out bottom.
    Last edited by UTvolshype; 02-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.