Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: what makes the best hive tool the best?

The KW from Kelly is also my favorite.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I'm curious about this one and will order one next time I put in an order from Mann Lake, as they now sell this. If it's as slick as the video shows, it would make a nice gift.

ez-pry.com
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

This is my favorite. It is a little bit longer than the standard tool and it weights just a little bit more. A very well made tool.
    https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...34333033323339

Kris,
    I agree with Indy as to whatever your doing at the moment indentifies what is the most important tool. Wish you the best.
    You sound like me last winter. I made my own tools also and I'm glad I did. I made my 'Maxant' tool from A-2 tool steel, hardened to 50-60rc, ground the blades, broke the edges and then flash chromed it. I painted the top half with some red enamel paint which really stands out nicely. (def. makes it easier to spot in the grass) I made the tip of the hook end smaller so that I have no issues getting between & under the frames. In my opinion there is no need to temper as the wood or plastic will give way before the tool will.
    Besides this tool, having a standard hive tool that is thin enough to easily get between the boxes is necessary. This one I would harden and then temper as I use this for more heavy prying.
    Enjoy!!!

I have several hive tools. I don't know where any are except the KW tool from Kelleys. If I lose it I will replace it quickly. In case no one knows it was developed by Kent Williams here in Ky. Thus KW tool. It was exclusive to Kelleys for a while. It is by far the best I've used.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12