Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what makes the best hive tool the best?

Let me preface this with a simple statement. I have no bees, nor have I ever had them? I am certainly to be considered a newbie.

I have fabricated and assembled a couple of Langstroth hives, fabricated and assembled all the necessary frames, and have two 5-frame nucs on order. I've got the PPE that i feel necessary and a smoker. What i do not have is a hive tool. As this seems to be a rather important thing to have, I want one that will be useful. I gather that there are a couple of designs, and that nearly anything can work in a pinch, but I plan to make my own. I my free time, i am a bladesmith and have all of the tooling and forges to make whatever I could possibly want.

So, are there any features that you wish a hive tool had? So far, I am partial to the double beveled design

http://www.leominsterbeeman.com/imag...-Hive-Tool.jpg

as seen in this link...assuming i got the link to work. I fabricated my frames before learning that any "rough" wool would be heavily propolised and I suspect that I will have the need to do a fair bit of scraping and prying. I plan to make new frames to tighter tolerences and sanded smooth if the need arises.

I will be tempering this steel to a low 50s on the rockwell scale to permit some prying without cracking, yet retain a sharp edge without regularly sharpening.

So, if you you any ideas, design critiques, or even criticisms of tools you have or have used, I sincerely welcome the input

Regards,

Kris
    Last edited by Barry; 02-04-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: fix link

Default Re: what makes the best hive tool the best?

"Best" is a subjective term. The tool you linked to - usually referred to as a Maxant tool - happens to be my favorite. However, when I'm out checking hives, I have at least two different ones in my pocket, and tend to use them interchangeably. Which one is "best" depends on what I'm doing at the moment.

I LOVE the 14" Betterbee Giant Hive Tool:

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Hi...iant-Hive-Tool

The hooks let you lift up frames easily without gouging into the comb.

I have had a Maxant (and a generic spare) for a long time. When I lost my Maxant, I bought another.

I found my lost tool some months later.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

So your going to make your own tool?? Add a Swiss army knife too it then all bases will be covered.
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by KPeacock View Post
    I will be tempering this steel to a low 50s on the rockwell scale to permit some prying without cracking, yet retain a sharp edge without regularly sharpening.

So, if you you any ideas, design critiques, or even criticisms of tools you have or have used, I sincerely welcome the input
    While you're going through the trouble of tempering, you might as well take a grinder to the hook on the end. It's too wide to fit between the space of two top bars. Not sure why Maxant doesn't fix this.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klein View Post
    This is a really good hive tool. I bought one after seeing my mentor's. It is very good at lifting glued down frames. When I "misplaced" mine even though it's more expensive than a standard tool I ordered another one. A few weeks later I found the misplaced one! Now I have a good backup. Some folks use pry-bars/nail-pullers from the hardware store but what I have found is that those are made of thicker metal and don't slip between the boxes as easily as a hive tool that was made for that purpose.

Ed

I don't think there is a Best hive tool? It's the person using it and how they us it. Come to think of, i've never broke one.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    This is a really good hive tool. Ed
    FWIW: The KW hook is not too big as with the J-hook. It fits between ten frames and because it has the bent paddle, does not gouge the frame next to the one you are prying.

Thanks for the feedback! As I expected, there seems to be no one answer to the question. I have a hunch I'll be making a couple of different styles and see what I like/dislike about them.

Thanks again,

"what makes the best hive tool the best?"

personal preference.

What makes the best hive tool?

Enough vanadium to flex a bit, enough carbon to hold an edge...but mostly being in hand and not lost when I reach for it.

I use the tool in your pic, Kris, and think it the best.
    I've no trouble at all getting it between frames to lift them.
    i set the foot on top of an end bar, and hook under the top bar, and they lever up quite nicely.

The hive tool was an Australian Patent in the 1930's. It is what I use and I find it great along a "good" frame gripper. There are different models, I find the thinner one made of spring steel better. A 3 or 4 inch paint scaper is good for scraping the top of the frames etc.

Before you go the final step and get bees, just be prepared to accept the affliction you are acquiring.

Have fun
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    What makes the best hive tool?

Enough vanadium to flex a bit, enough carbon to hold an edge...but mostly being in hand and not lost when I reach for it.

I use the tool in your pic, Kris, and think it the best.
    I've no trouble at all getting it between frames to lift them.
    i set the foot on top of an end bar, and hook under the top bar, and they lever up quite nicely.
    Good response. It is also my favourite.
    Please don't call it " the Maxant" - it is the Australian Hive tool. The one wothout the hook is the American Hive Tool!

Lots of good tools out there but I'm also partial to the Maxant style with two beveled edges at right angles. When scraping propolis from frame rests on boxes I can hit both surfaces with each stroke.

Edited to add: I think most of us in the USA first saw this style when Maxant introduced it and that's why it's being referred to as such. Thanks for the history lesson though.

Quote Originally Posted by KPeacock View Post
    So far, I am partial to the double beveled design

http://www.leominsterbeeman.com/imag...-Hive-Tool.jpg
    I have this same tool, and I like it... EXCEPT: the scraper end is too darn sharp! I end up gouging / shaving the wood I am trying to scrape!
    I use the cheapest "standard" tool for my scraping needs, and this tool for the nice frame lifter on one end.

-- Steven

Sure there is a best. It is not the material, or the design, or the tempering. It is the contrast so you can find it in the grass or dirt. A chrome vanadium hardened hive tool with titanium nitride coating, sharpened and dulled so it does not cut woodenware is useless when you lose it.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Here's my favorite:
    http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1102

I like that it is long enough to have some leverage, light enough to be easy to carry, skinny enough to easily fit between the frames with the hook and the steel is hard and springy and good enough that I've never bent one.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF