Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New guy in Nor Cal

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Wife & I where at Randy's place a few years ago, at that time he had a few new beekeepers he was working with. He also sells nucs in the spring.
    Its very educational to spend a day helping out around his apiary.
    I have signed up with the NCBA and am waiting on a class schedule right now. I believe Janet mentioned Randy heading up or working in the upcoming class.

New toys.

Upside down pic of my Dadant frames. Stupid TinyPic wont let you edit pics anymore...

How will this work for a hive location (by the cinder blocks)? This is an unused corner of yard between a chicken yard and a few fruit trees. I'd leave enough room to get behind the hives to get the screened bottom board cover and tray out. The plumb tree would shade the boxes for a few hours of the day in the summer when the leaves are on. It might help the bees stay cool. The winter the leaves wont be on and the hive will get sun all day. Closest neighbors are a few hundred feet away from this location. And its 60' to my shop so I don't think that will be a problem.

Also, what is the best way to water the bees in summer? I'll have frame feeders till they are established. But it doesn't rain for nine months of the year here and there isn't a natural water source around. It gets evil hot and there is very low humidity and extremely dry. I was thinking an auto filling dog bowl with rocks in it to keep the drownings down.

If the entrance to the hive is facing toward the left (facing south-east), you might want to grow some climbing vines (like pole beans?) on the fence around it to help with shading it. Mine is sort of surrounded by blackberry bushes.

For providing water, you could use a chicken waterer so you don't have to keep refilling it more than once every 3-4 days (depending on how big it is). It might also be helpful to put the waterer in the shade so it doesn't heat up the water inside. This is an example. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=60

There are lots of beeks that believe that full sun hive placement assists in keeping small hive beetles under control. My current hives get shade during high sun, but the new hives I will be establishing this spring will see low and high sun.

And I think a dog waterer with rocks will work fine for bees. Mine drink out of an open rain barrel with wood scraps floating for landing pads.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

i like the chicken waterer with small rocks in it.
    Looks like a good location. Its best if the entrances face E or SE to get the bees up & working early. The afternoon summer shade would be good also. None of these things are mandatory, but if you have an option consider them.
    Shouldn't have any beetle problems where you live.
    Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12