Default Eco Bee Box - I need help!

Hi Everyone,

I am Eco Bee Box and have entered a competition for a $20,000 grant, being offered by Grow America. Grow America is trying to help small companies grow to stimulate the economy.

Currently I have bounced around from 1st to 2nd and 3rd place. You can vote everyday until Feb 26th. My hope is that with an improved cash flow I can order larger amounts of inventory and pay tooling costs. I have lowered the price per part, as that was a critical deterant for many. Now with a lower return I need captial to purchase larger amounts for inventory. If I have to use the returns to reinvest, then the price had to be higher. I would rather sell volume and make just a little per piece but then have many people using them. My other option is to have distributors pre-pay, as I am moving away from retail.

Just returned a bit ago from the Trade Show in Hershey, PA. The hit of the show was the copper hive with clear view windows. I will post it here for you to inspect. I have had a number of these going. Some of you will say, "have to cover the windows when not using them" - this is not the case but they can't face south into direct sun. Or how about "they have poor insulation value" - this is again not the case as they are made with 3/4" clear acrylic and is more dense than pine by 2x. "The bees won't like it" - again after a day the bees treat it like wood and simply ignor any issues with it.

http://www.growam.com/entrant/1404989578

Here are hopefully a couple images.

293074_454598684562950_1227615045_n.jpg534369_413002505389235_796692585_n.jpg229111_458587230830762_1563927916_n.jpg
    Last edited by beehivestate; 02-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Default Re: Eco Bee Box - I need help!

density is generally inversely related to insulation value...meaning, more dense = ess insulating (greater thermal conductivity).

How often can one vote?

you got my vote.
    I do not like your product for commercial purposes, but love it for the exquisite observation and easy possibilities. Good luck

I like the product but did not vote as it requires allowing access to your facebook account by an app. I just don't allow any apps access to my FB account. If there were another way to vote for you, I would. -james

I agree with windfall. Like the windows in a house, there needs to be two panes of glass with air space between them to give them higher insulting properties. Then to make them even better they vacuum the air out and inject the window with low conducting gases. Research low-E windows. Still like the idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    How often can one vote?
    Once daily, but your spouse and kids can also vote!!

Thanks MichaBees! As for commerical purposes, the cost of the brackets will be drastically dropping. Will also beginning to see them on bee store shelves, last, a new 5/8" bracket for fencing cedar will be availble this spring. This particular bracket will allow for cedar boxes to be made at under $10 each. This is based on a Lowes price of fencing cedar last summer for 77 cents a plank. Thanks for the vote!!!!!

Daily, but please share with others!!

The app is nessesary as it regulates voting practises and prevents fraud. I agree if there was another way, but there isn't. Although, I think you can vote via twitter as well. Kids that use facebook have tons of apps, perhaps find someone that doesn't mind. Thanks James!!!

This is a hive with an acrylic view window 3/4" thick. This hive was placed in October and this picture was taken in January. Notice the snow melt on the top cover from the heat of the bees within. Air can still enter through the bee passage beneath the window and through the top entrance.

IMAG2848.jpg

Another image to check out. IMAG2847.jpg

Last one to share. IMAG2845.jpg

Thought I would share some other observation hives I put together this last year. IMAG2559.jpg

Yet another. 2012-10-28 203.jpg

This was the mind blower for me. Incredible!

First image is that of a complete clear hive body. This is ideal for an observation hive indoors.

IMAG1726.jpg

This next one is showing that our locking clips can hold the hive together so bee can't accidently get out.

IMAG0692.jpg

This last one shows how the inside of the box works. I have frame rests made from copper, aluminum and believe it or not, brass. The corners fit simply and securely. Attractive. The trick we added is that we had top bar frames made to fit the Langstroth body allowing full view. This frame also allows the beekeeper the chance of trying a top bar hive in a regular Langstroth box. If you only have a single hive, then using the top bar frames in this manner takes away the additional costs of extracting equipment.

IMAG2005.jpg

All I am trying to get is working capital. This contest may allow me just that. Please vote and share with your friends. http://www.growam.com/entrant/1404989578
    Last edited by beehivestate; 02-05-2013 at 11:39 AM.