Default New packages hived in 8 frame medium bodies

Last year I started 2 packages in 2- 8 frames hive bodies. It worked fine, but they tended to build comb in the top body as opposed to the lower. I moved comb to balance. This year I will do 2 more packages in 8 frame bodies. My question is should I use 1 or 2 medium 8 frame hive bodies to start? Also, should I put in some built comb frames in the bodies, or just force them to build all new comb? These are 3 pound packages. Should I put the queen cage attached to the top or bottom hive body if I go with 2 bodies?

Default Re: New packages hived in 8 frame medium bodies

When I started my packages last year I started them in 8 frame medium box. When they had six frames drawn and were starting on the last two frames I added the second box... then added a third after they had the second almost drawn like before. I put the queen between two frames in the first box. I checked them once a week to make sure they did not get ahead of me.

They did a really good job drawing comb on the middle frames but we slow to draw the two one the ends. So I had to move them one frame towards the middle to speed them along.

I am second year so maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Steve

They'll always go to the top (ok, they never "always" do anything, but you know). One hive body is plenty, even 8 frame medium. Feed them as usual to help them draw comb. Introduce the queen as usual, queen candy in the cage, let the bees release her when the hive is all nice and closed up and the giant human isn't bothering them . If you have a frame or two of comb to give them, they'll love it so def. give them that if you have it.

I would start them in the singe 8 frame. I would add drawn comb if you have it. Adding the drawn comb with significantly speed the build up of the hive. Do you have any honey frames left over? If so, add one or two of them and you dont need to feed.

I start my packages is single 10 frame deeps with 4-6 drawn frames or my preference is to start them on drawn comb in a 5 frame deep. I will add another 5 frame deep on top and let them fill that box before moving them to 10 frame equipment.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I would also start them out in just one box. Then add another one once they have 70-80 percent drawn out. I would do the same thing even if you are just using 8frame mediums. You just have to add the boxes sooner with mediums. If you give them too many boxes of foundation at one time they tend to draw out the 4-5frames in the middle of the boxes and go straight up. Then its harder to get them to draw out the frames on the ends. If you have some drawn comb it will give them a head start so if you have it go ahead and use it.